Leaf Loader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gerg21, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Gerg21

Gerg21 LawnSite Member

I have been searching for the answer to my problem but I cant seem to find it. I am looking into getting a Leaf Loader for the 04 season. I got a F150 and I am looking at getting a swing away Billy Goat or Giant Vac Loader. I don't have a hitch for my truck yet and I want to make sure that all I need is a class 2 hitch to hook up the swing away loader. Which brings me to my next question as a solo operate I was wondering how do I get the loader on the hitch I have read that at weight between 500 and 600 lbs. Has any one built a lift or dolly or something to help them hitch the loader up. Please share any pic or ideas.
    Greg

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

A floor jack and 2 guys is all you need. You should definately have at least a class III hitch, I would not put it on a class II. I thought of making a dolly of some type at one point, I think the best thing would be a transmission jack.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'm guessing you're going to be building a box on the bed for the leaves?

Are you locked into that F150? If not, I'd seriously consider getting a heavier duty truck (3/4 ton or even a 1 ton if you can afford it).

I say this because when you fill that box full of packed in leaves, combined with the weight of the box and the loader, you're looking at a LOT of weight.

Plus if you get a heavier duty truck, you can add a dump insert and really make leaves easier. I can tell you that unloading a box full of packed in leaves by hand SUCKS! I know, because I don't have a dump insert yet.

All around a heavier duty truck will serve you better.

As far as hitching up the loader by yourself, I'd say a custom sized dolly would be your best bet.

Good luck.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

5. Gerg21

Gerg21 LawnSite Member

thank you for the help I just bought the truck a couple of mounths ago wish I would of got a larger one now that I am considering a loader. I need a truck and this was a good buy so I took what I could get at hthe time.
    Greg

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Your weights are high they aren't that heavy on the swing models the biggest swing away motor I have seen was 16 hp and that’s around 375-425 pounds. The weights you list are what the 20 hp versions weigh. I have a 20 hp giant vac and we made it into a swing away on the side of the box on our rack body course that required a lot of welding and measuring and the weight is over 600 pounds.

The swing away you want was an option for us and a much cheaper one at that but the power difference was major and the hose size was smaller as well. That said you have a small truck and I wouldn’t go over a 16 hp so I think your be fine. Although pulling that out by hand is gona get old real fast and the pics they show of you vacuuming out your truck with the vac pointed away from the box. Well I got this bridge I need to sell once that stuff compacts your wasting your time if you think your gona use the vac to help clear it.

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I agree. I had read posts here of people doing it that way, and thought it would be an option. But now that I have a loader and see how tight it packs, there's no way I would try to vac that back out. I used a pitchfork and a hard rake and like I said, it sucked!
    I even tried taking the loader off, opening the backdoor and driving in reverse and stomping on the brakes to see if I could get the block of leaves to make it's way out. That was a waste, it didn't budge.LOL!

I bought a load handler, and that didn't work until I had unloaded half of the load by hand first. It was just sliding out from underneath.

8. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

Used a pallet and a tow strap to unload. We use 2 pallets shaped like an L with a couple straps and it unloads a 16 foot trailer in one pull. kane

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had the same thoughts as gogetter, the weight of the leaves in that particular model of truck

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

My LW leaf loader sucks the leaves right outta the leaf box and pitches them nicely into a pile. I've never had to dig the leaves out by hand.

:D