Leaf lowballers everywhere!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lawnprosteveo, Dec 5, 2010.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I know this shouldnt be such a surprise to me...but there are guys advertising complete leaf removal for $60. There are also guys doing curbside removal for $30...all yards!

I did a curbside the other day that was a wind row about 45' long, 3' high, and 4' wide! How can you do that for $30??

The answer is you do it for 1 or 2 seasons and then realize you could make more as a Home Depot associate or a McDonald's fry cook.:confused::hammerhead::confused:

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Don't worry what other people are doing. Be concerned with what your doing. stay focused. Handle your business. If I worried about everyone else in the business I would be depressed and wouldn't get a thing accomplished.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Thats true. Even with guys working for peanuts, I have still nearly doubled my leaf removal income this season through lots of advertising and hard work.

4. dKoester

Exactly! Thats those are the type of things you need to keep your mind on to stay focused. These guys might take along time to do leaf removals so it could end up not being worth their time,which they will soon find out. Efficiency is key.

5. zapy

zapy LawnSite Member

C'mon. Get creative! I have good paying accounts and at the time cannot afford the equipment those hacks are usinug so......... I collect the $$ from my customers and hire the hacks to do the dirty work for me. No wear or tear on my equipment and I get to focus on other work that I may have had to put off and possibly lose. In a year or two or less they'll be out of business and I'll still be skinny and happy (not fat and happy) as I'm not ripping anyone off but I'm not lowballing either.

6. dKoester

You hire hacks, I hire experienced employees who have a good report from their previous company.

7. DQL10

DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member

I think he was trying to say that he subs out the work to those guys who do it for 30 bucks. Only badside I see to this is that once the customer sees these other guys doing the work out there, they fire you and hire them. But maybe thats just me being paranoid. :confused:

8. dKoester

Yeah, I figured that. I'd rather have my trucks on the job. Walk up customers with the "hey can you do my yard" always happen.

9. DQL10

DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member

Yup. Happened to me a lot this summer with mowing. People would say hey, how much are you charging? My mower broke and need my lawn done asap.

10. NPMinc

NPMinc LawnSite Member

This is my first post but I have been reading this forum for awhile. I am also not by any means new to the business. I just had to chime in on this topic. With attitudes like I have seen in this post I can't help but wonder how half these guys are still in business. Using logic like I don't work for free or peanuts or I have overhead etc. Did i miss miraculus thing occuring that I am not aware of? Last I checked my overhead (liabilty and vehicle insurance, workmans comp ins, monthy equipment financing payments etc) dont magically go away because I have put my equipment away for the year. Lets be realistic, Im not saying keep all your crews and equipment out to work leaves if the market and money isnt there to justify it, but personally if I can go out and make $75/hour working myself or with one guy who I pay 10 so thats $65/hr and have a minimum amount of equipment on the job (1 of my pickup dumps and a few blowers) im doing ok-----not getting rich but making money. Lets do the numbers--- say its a 3 hour job and I do 2 that day. Thats $450 just me/ $390 with the help. Now--- expenses 2 blowers-no more then $10/day fuel, my truck say less then $10 for fuel. That leaves me with a $430/$370 take for the day. Now lets say I do this 4 days this week thats $1720/$1480. As I said,no pot of gold there, but also not working for "free" as some put it. I know I would much rather have that to put towards my overhead (notice I didnt include them in my expenses cause those bills are there whether I am out working or not) than the $0 I would have made sitting home on my Azz. Not to mention the advertising from my truck being out or the potential for acquiring new customers for next season