leaf mulch question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pax3, Nov 9, 2001.

1. pax3

pax3 LawnSite Member

Right now, for my regular customers, I charge $50/hr + lawn cut price to mulch leaves. Probably going to $60/hr next year. My question is should I include the lawn cut price for the whole season even when grass no longer has to be mowed? I'm planning on keeping the lawn cut price regardless of everyone's response, but I was just wondering what you guys do.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If the grass isnt growing and you are primarily using your machines to vac the leaves instead of raking them I would bill the machine out as an additional laborer.

If you are still cutting grass due to weather conditions then YES, I would charge them for the mowing because we are combining two services. This week I didnt charge for the cutting in conjunction with the leaf removal because the grass hadnt grown all that much. Next week when I cut the grass at the lowest height, they will be billed for a cut and if we are still contending with alot of leaves then they will have a Fall Cleanup added to their invoivce.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

3. pax3

pax3 LawnSite Member

I'm not using a vac. I'm using 60" exmark with mulching kit, but I see what your saying about billing it as a laborer instead of billing as lawn cut price later in season. I will still be cutting grass for a few more weeks here it looks like. 60 to 70 degree weather, very nice.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Another aspect that you might have to be prepared to defend to your clients if they arent familiar with your ways or just like to be obstanent is that just because we do a job quicker doesnt mean that we havent performed the task.

If they have paid us say $350 for fall clean-up every season for the past 10, and now that we have machinery to save our acheing backs, well Im going to look into the machinery but the price for services doesnt drop.

Just try to be careful so that your not cutting your wallet strings by using the equipment if you arent familiar with how long the site should take to clean by rake and laborer. If you have trouble you can always ask around with other LCOs as to what a fair price for clean up is. Thats the one thing we hate to see is someone afraid to ask, and have the market dip even further.

Im not trying to criticize, merely making suggestions. ;)
    Kris