Leaf Mulching 101 - BAGGING?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capecodlawn, Oct 14, 2006.

1. capecodlawn

capecodlawn LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark Metro 36 - and bag all my lawns with the std ExMark bagger. The leaves have begun to fall, with the factory supplied blades -the leaves are barely cut, thus the bag fills very quickly, though it is light and airy.

What are my options?

Get an accelerator bagger with leaf extension?

Is it possible to mulch up the leaves and have them bagged and more compacted in the bag? What blade do I purchase?

Will gator blades mulch the leaves sufficiently without leaving a trail of leaves?

Obviously I'm a newbie and am looking to do a great job while working most efficiently.

The only stupid question is the one not asked? Thanks for the patience!

CCL - BRIAN

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I would run double high lift gators. They will get the leaf size down considerably and pack the bag much tighter resulting in the bag not filling up as fast and being able to get more leaves in the bag.

3. capecodlawn

That was my primary question... you can bag with gators? The high lift version that is, right?

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

That's how I do it. Double high lift gators with my Leaf and Grass Gobbler on my 36" Gravely walk-behind.

5. capecodlawn

Thank you!

Anymore ideas?

6. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I run over the lawn the first time with no bagger to chop up the leaves, then run it over a second time with the bagger and I make out alright.

7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

8. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, cutting the lawn once without the bagger and then cutting it again to collcet it would be very helpful.

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

race track cut first with doubles blowing leaves towards the center then bag them.

if they are really dense,
    cut opposing rows first to make winrows
    then fasten a chute blocker and go over the windrows while mulching
    then go over them with a bagger

alternatively just use a chute blocker or mulch kit and don't bag them at all, just mow them repeatedly until they disaappear into the grass as little bits.
    This works well for light leaves.

10. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

so far in my un-scientific study on running double blades. when the leaves are dry. having gators and high-lifts on are the best thing since sliced bread. but when the leaves were wet, i have found my mower tends to clog a bit easier and stall the blades, more than just gators. im going to try and take some pictures of the clippings from running gators & high lifts, then just gators, and then again with just the high-lifts.