Leaf mulching YES WAY or NO WAY !!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastlane, Nov 5, 2002.

1. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

It's apparent that the same way will not work for everone. ie:the type of equipment you use,the amount of leaves,the result your customer wants etc. I use a 48''TT with mulch kit. (Leaf gobbler still in the box)Than (if needed)a Cub with bagger. When leaves are to deep to mulch I also use blower and BillyGoat vac mounted on a 6x6x6' trailer pulled by tractor. It goes anywhere in yard and I drive up on 16' trailer and dump leaves.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no way for me. when they first start to fall, its no problem mulching. but when there is any real accumulation, i need to go over it 2 or 3 times without a catcher, then pick up with a catcher. i just cant see getting a nice clean job by mulching . i would like to see a b4, and after picture of what some of these "mulchers" are doing.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

This topic has become a "mines bigger than yours" subject.

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

YES WAY!!

5. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

For me mulching leaves has gotten easier with time and experimenting to see what works.I use a Toro 44 Wb with a modified version of Toro's mulch kit with gator magnum's.

6. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

For me its a big NO WAY.

Customers wouldn't go for it and neither would I. Not to say anyone elses way dosent work.... just that this is what my local market demands.

Leaf cover is outragous, customers are beyond anal, and over the years of working for them I have become (if possible) even more anal.

Just to put anal customers into everyones perspective... there was one account a few yrs ago (working for another lco) that had us HAND PICK EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF LEAF out of every shrub during not only the final clean-up, but EVERY TIME!!!!

Walker/Vac is the only way around here....

7. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Here is a pic I dug up from the archives. An obvious master of his trade.

This was done by Eric Elm & shows how properly mulching leaves looks after 1 pass with doubles.

I almost feel sorry for the guys around here that have shelled out for Walkers, Pecos & truck vacs.....Almost.

leaves.jpg

8. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

yes way is definetly my vote. With my new Little Wonder Blower and my Lazer i can make the downed fall foliage turn to dust.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Bobbygedd,

Before

dsc_218.jpg

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Thanks for diggin that pic out, got any more? :D Thats awesome if you ask me. It still depends on the conditions (those look real dry), equipment deck design and blade speed, horsepower, proper deck adjustment (ie, pitch) and blade combinations, ground speed, operator's expertise with equipment, etc etc.
    To be honest, that pic will make anyone a beleiver in mulching but you can bet that not everyone can do it that good (given the conditions) or else they would not have gone back to picking them up. Not to be argumentive, but thats just the facts, life's not perfect, sorry. And right now around here anyway you cant' do much with leaves except try to mulch them cause of all the d@m rain we are getting. You would have to come back and finish later they wouldn't mulch good and your vacs would clog. I think the only way that everyone can agree on that works and gets everything up leaving as little debris as possible is to mulch them first then use a catcher on them. Obviously a Walker is the weapon of choice but we can't all justify that much money for one, and their ground speed isn't productive enough to have just a Walker with a discharge or mulch deck during grass season. Around here they aren't used at all for anything, I am not sure what most LCO's do for leaves. Some lawns are mulchable and some not, just depends. I'm trying to do what everyone else is with this topic: sum it up and give my opinion while having the last word, but that ain't gonna happen. I will try to get some leaf cleanup pics of the before and after and equipment I use.
    Thanks for reading,
    Eric