Leaf Mulching (YES WAY!!)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a before photo of a lawn I mowed today. I picked this lawn up recently and mowed it once 2 weeks ago. It hadn't been mowed in months prior to that. Grass is a bit long and damp, leaves are maple and are moist. Let's see how the Exmark mulching kit does.

eileen mulch before.jpg

2. Darryl G

Here it is after one pass with Exmark 48 inch Turf Tracer HP with 17 HP Kawasaki with mulch kit on, single wavy mulch blades. Mowed at about 3 mph.

3. Darryl G

No, here it is.

eileen mulch 1pass.jpg

4. Darryl G

2 passes. Looks good enough to me (I still need to mow the far rear, beyond the small stream). I don't see the need for all sorts of fancy leaf removal when I can handle leaves like this.

I have some photos taken where the leaves were deeper, I'll try to post them later.

eileen mulch 2 pass.jpg

5. Darryl G

Same lawn, front lawn before picture.

eileen mulch front before.jpg

6. Darryl G

After one pass

eileen mulch front 1 pass.jpg

7. Darryl G

2 passes

eileen mulch front 2 pass.jpg

8. Darryl G

Curb area, heavy leaves before.

eileen mulch front2 before.jpg

9. Darryl G

Curb area after 2 passes.

eileen mulch front2 2pass.jpg

10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I do admit it looks good, and if I had two riders I would definately have one with the mulch kit on. I would however like to see deep leaves mulched. The pics in this thread I could have piced them up in one pass with my lazer vac, and I bet I could have piced up all the leaves in the larger yard in one hopper. (at least all that I can see. I want to see you guys mulch 10-12-24" of leaves. I will have some pics later when the big drop happens and I would like to see someone mulch that many. All the pics I have seen look great but are very light leaf cover.

I have found though that even if I run over a pile without the vac on it grinds them up to where I can fit many more in the hopper.