1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Mulching (YES WAY!!)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a before photo of a lawn I mowed today. I picked this lawn up recently and mowed it once 2 weeks ago. It hadn't been mowed in months prior to that. Grass is a bit long and damp, leaves are maple and are moist. Let's see how the Exmark mulching kit does.

eileen mulch before.jpg

2. Darryl G

Here it is after one pass with Exmark 48 inch Turf Tracer HP with 17 HP Kawasaki with mulch kit on, single wavy mulch blades. Mowed at about 3 mph.

3. Darryl G

No, here it is.

eileen mulch 1pass.jpg

4. Darryl G

2 passes. Looks good enough to me (I still need to mow the far rear, beyond the small stream). I don't see the need for all sorts of fancy leaf removal when I can handle leaves like this.

I have some photos taken where the leaves were deeper, I'll try to post them later.

eileen mulch 2 pass.jpg

5. Darryl G

Same lawn, front lawn before picture.

eileen mulch front before.jpg

6. Darryl G

After one pass

eileen mulch front 1 pass.jpg

7. Darryl G

2 passes

eileen mulch front 2 pass.jpg

8. Darryl G

Curb area, heavy leaves before.

eileen mulch front2 before.jpg

9. Darryl G

Curb area after 2 passes.

eileen mulch front2 2pass.jpg

10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I do admit it looks good, and if I had two riders I would definately have one with the mulch kit on. I would however like to see deep leaves mulched. The pics in this thread I could have piced them up in one pass with my lazer vac, and I bet I could have piced up all the leaves in the larger yard in one hopper. (at least all that I can see. I want to see you guys mulch 10-12-24" of leaves. I will have some pics later when the big drop happens and I would like to see someone mulch that many. All the pics I have seen look great but are very light leaf cover.

I have found though that even if I run over a pile without the vac on it grinds them up to where I can fit many more in the hopper.