leaf mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Sep 19, 2001.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 48 inch Exmark Turf Tracer. If we mulch leaves-
    Should we use exmarks mulching kit w/the turbo baffles? How easy is it to install? Do the baffles reduce blowout?
    Could we make a fold up/down mulch plate like on the Dixie chopper in place of the discharge chute?

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you are looking to mulch the leaves just use gators and leave the chute open. If you have these plates on and its not dry they will just clump and clog your machines.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 48 inch turf tracer
    Don`t waste your time with a plate to cover the dishcharge chute. I tried this, before getting the mulch kit. All the grass,leaves go to the discharge chute, which is blocked and it leaves a pile of leaves at the discharge chute.The mulch kit from exmark works great with leaves.
    The mulch kit is not hard to install, about 20-30 minutes(with a coffee break included)
    I don`t seem to recall a lot of blowout on my turftracer.

4. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Kris, leave the chute open and run gators, works great!!

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

What chris and guntruck said is true, but all the leaves are spread all over the place and you have to chase them around to get them mulched up. On a windy day this could be a pain in the arse. With the micro mulch kit, they get mulched up, and no chasing around.:D

6. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Mow has a good point, i just use the open chutes and gators, its easier for us and thats all we have. I do have a peco leaf vac that aids in the clean up along with tarps but i guess most of all is the gators and open chutes.