Leaf Mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnservicefreak22, Oct 26, 2011.

1. lawnservicefreak22

lawnservicefreak22 LawnSite Member

I have the mulch kit installed on the exmark and was wondering what blades are best for leaf mulching for clean ups. My dealers worker was telling me that there's blades that are better for mulching leaves than the ones that are best for mulching grass. Thanks
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I think the wavy mulchers are best with the mulch kit. You can use Gator mulching blades. They mulch leaves better but throw a lot more air, so you will get stuff blowing out from under the front of the mower, especially the right front corner. You can't much them if you can't get them under the mower, ya know. The problem with the wavy mulchers is that once the leaves get stuck to the ground it doesn't get them up very well.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree with all that.
  4. Darryl G

You agree with my typo and all? lol. I meant to say you can't mulch them, not can't much them.
  5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

My customers are loving my mulching set up, I've had several tell me I have the best set up they have ever seen, no leaves when I'm done, just using the Toro mulching blades, no raking for me.
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Didnt catch it it was so close.
  7. dutchacres

dutchacres LawnSite Senior Member

Wavy blades are probably the best but also suck if you need the extra lift. I wish someone would make a medium to high lift wavy blade for this reason. I hate gator style blades but they do do a good job on leaves also. Try both and see which you like better.
  8. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I have tried 2 gator blades on my ferris 36 and get mixed results on both leaves and grass, so I generally use a standard ferris high lift on the inside and a gator on the outside, it works ok would a mulching kit make a big difference.
  9. Darryl G

The Exmark mulching kit with the wavy mulcher blades provides excellent results for mulching a moderate amount of leaves. I don't know about the Gravely one. The problem with the mulch kit for me is that there are times that there are just too many leaves to make them "disappear" necessitating bagging. With the mulch kit on, that's not possible. And taking it on and off in the field just isn't practical.
  10. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

My Scag wavy blades just set in the shop gathering rust along with the mulch kit. They left to many stragglers. Just use Oregon Gators and a block off plate. Some people thought I used a vac on their yard. If you have alot of leaves you leave the plate open, then close it, then reopen and bingo they are gone. No bagging for me.