1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf pick- up help

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by rootytalbot, Sep 3, 2013.

1. rootytalbot

rootytalbot LawnSite Senior Member

Weird thought - bash it (me) if you need to:

Anyone ever try renting a 40 yard dumpster and having it dropped off at their shop or front yard and then emptying leaves from the trailer into the dumpster?

I get a contractor discount on the dumpster because I used to rent them for building/remodels. Its 325/month including one dump fee - plus a slight fuel surcharge that varies - usually 30. So 355 a month for a 40 yard. I have never loaded one with leaves and can't imagine how much it would hold - but if it was weighted (limbs) or watered it might hold a pretty good bit of leaves.

I know this sounds hard but I can't get the box truck that I wanted and the leaf loader that I NEED all in one season - so I am either going to have to trailer the leaves home and dump them in my yard or find some way to deal with them. I had planned on getting a 16' box truck but I can't find a decent one for the tiny budget I have right now.

Should I bail on leaves this season and focus on something else?
    What would the else be?

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

The dumpster sounds great. I pay 10-20 per trailer load of leaves

3. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

The drop site is also 20 mins away from me