Leaf pickup Service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by McKeeLand, Dec 3, 2002.

1. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Ok here is an idea I have for next fall. I was thinking of offering a leaf pickup service for homeowners who don't have it in thier town or LC who don't have a truck loader and would rather pay someone else to haul away their leaves. Tell me what you think. Is this something that people will go for and what do you think it would be worth.
    I know when I was first starting out in the business I could of used a service like this to take on bigger leaf jobs or to help me on my bigger properties.
    I have a 16' goose neck dump trailer with 48" sides I pull with a F-250 pickup. I thought I could buy another truck loader and mount it to my trailer with a two man crew.
    Just an idea I had, tell me what you think. Thanks guys.

2. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

We are considering the same thing. We've got a 20' goose neck. Same set up. Just got to figure out what to do with our Walkers.:cool:

3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

That idea sounds like a good one...we do that for a few customers already....they rake it all to the road & we come buy & suck it up...usually charge about $75 to take them away like that as long as there is just one or 2 big piles by the side of the road & we're not driving the truck all over the lawn picking up lots of small piles...takes no time to suck em up & move on, usually done & leaving within 30 min.

I just don't understand why you'd send out a 2-man crew to do this job. Seems like one guy would be plenty to me? What were you thinking the other guy could be doing....just wondering

4. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

THATS FUNNY I was thinking the same thing the other day,

Purchase a mini garbage truck and mount a truck loader to it and offer curbside pick up,Maybe even get those paper bags printed up with my co. logo and sell them at a local grocery store. That way I could pick up bags or vac them up and pack a pile of leaves in the compacter then turn around and sell the packed cubes to people who like to compost.

OK WAKE UP ALICE YOUR NOT IN WONDERLAND [pinch pinch]
    Just something I was dreaming about !!!!!!

5. With all those dummies "mulching" the leaves up in the lawn they will kill your new service idea.

They are the same people who ask how to make more money in this biz and they cut a 3- part paying job into 1 and get paid less than half of one of the parts.