1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

leaf plow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Oct 17, 2000.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

any body out there have a jrco leaf plow for a walk behind. i just purchased one today and the dealer is installing it on my 48 inch scag. any comments on this product?
  2. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

What if i told you it wasnt worth two cents.

You've already bought it. Shouldn't you have asked the question prior to making your purchase. PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

I have not personally used one, but a competitor uses one and it seems to do a nice job. I would much rather push the leaves around with the mower than using a tarp.
  3. Tomslawncare1

Tomslawncare1 LawnSite Member

mdb. I've had one for 3 years now. I wonder why the hell I didn't buy it 6 years ago. Once you've used it you'll love it. I used to push with my mower also but said to myself there's got to be a better way. You wont belive how big of a pile you can push with it. I have not seen a tarp in 3 years since I bought it.
  4. Scotty

Scotty LawnSite Member

I bought one 3 years ago for the DC. It's a HUGE time and back saver, I would highly recommend the plow to anyone who removes leaves or pushes leaves to other areas on property.
  5. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I don't really under stand why you would really want to push the leaves around all day. I just run over them 3 or 4 for times with my Dixie till there all gone. well small enough to settle in the grass, so what do you do after you have a pile of leaves the size of mount everst.I really hate leaves, so what is the best way to take care of them.
  6. mdb landscaping

hey luckylawnboy,
    i dont know where you are from, but up here in CT leaves are massive. there is no way you could just run them over with mower. usually the plow is used to move piles that blowers cant move anymore. then you push them to a central location and suck them up with a leaf sucker
  7. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of set up do you use for a leaf sucker. and what is the capacity of leaves able to hold
  8. mdb landscaping

i currently dont have a leaf sucker, but i have somebody contracted out to do that for me. i was working with a guy who had a f250 with a box and then a dump trailer 5 by 8 with a box. they were about 8 ft tall. he used a 25 hp honda giant vac leaf loader
  9. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

My leaf rig is a 16hp loader mounted on a swinging door on a 12' dump. When the box is on it is 7.5x12x6. I will try the plow this year.
  10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

We have a lot of leaves down here in the south, can't imagine having to plow them! I don't understand why Ct. would have so many more than other parts of the country. Do you collect them once a year or do you do routine maintenance on the lawns? We run over them and what doesn't get mulched gets bagged.

I guess you'd have to be there.