leaf plows ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Nov 17, 2002.

1. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to get or build a leaf plow. Looked at the JRCO one and it leaves a bit to be desired.. does anyone else make one , like a nice fabricated steel one ? Thanks

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Chris,

After trying different methods/ways of pushing the leaves, I've found you might just want to mount a small board on the front of your mower and push "more", but smaller piles. Keep in mind, if you are pushing a big pile, the amount of time used to get the pile "that big" takes more time to blow, than if you just blow a line of leaves about 20" high, and have one guy move the line to where you want the leaves, and then just blow more leaves until you again end up with a 20" wall of leaves.
    Pushing leaves ends up like plowing wet snow. Once you start a line, many leaves start gathering in front and you end up pushing a "low", but long line of leaves in front of the machine.
    As I say, I've found it faster to move more smaller piles instead of less bigger piles. Furthermore, since we are both in NJ (Basking Ridge, myself) the leaves are so wet you "will not" be able to push a large amount of leaves, since I've tried, and ended up spinning both drive wheels on my WB, which weights 700 lbs.
    Pete....

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a JRCO brand and it basically just sets in the garage and takes up space.

4. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

I was considering getting a leaf plow. Whats wrong with JRCO besides price?

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I have a jrco leaf plow mounted on my scag walkbehind. I love the thing. it saves so much time moveing those massive piles to the curb. It is very productive, especially since i work solo.

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

hookset, yeah price is ridiculous for how and what it is made of .. and have you actually looked at one in person, it's a perferated piece of sheet metal with two arms and a rake on the bottom, if it were $100 I would pick one up..... But I was thinking of fabricating one from tubular steel with expanded mesh like the ones on the municipal trucks so at least it would last a few seasons... But was hoping some other manufacturer already made one, I have seen them , bu t maybe they were homemade ??

7. My neighbor made his own plows.

Expanded metel, 2" square tube, and an old tire for the bottom.

Welded 2 tubes on the mowers front castors as receives for the plow frame.

On the bottom is the old tire.

\________/ looks like this.

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

Yeah thats what i'm talkin about..... But dont have time now to mess around with makin it. Over the winter I 'll make one if I dont find one in the next week or so...

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

My Hustler with floating deck, I'm sure is basically like other WB's. Even without a plow, my machine can be driven into a pile of leaves and end up easily moving the equivalent of at least two 50 gallon trash cans of leaves at speed. I’d try your machine just the way it is, holding “up” on the handle bars to keep the front from riding over the leaves, and see how well it works. You may be surprised how it’ll work as long as you keep the front end down. As I've mentioned before, moving more smaller loads can work as well as bigger slower loads. If you're dealing with dry leaves, always keep a fire extinguisher handy.
    Pete

10. SCAPEASAURUSREX

Yeah I can push with the deck to some degree , but it winds up on the deck , especially the walker cause the deck is so low..

Anyway, I finally broke down and baught the JRCO one.... Used it on one place and broke it already..... But after fixing it somewhat was able to make do and what a time saver it was.... awsome contraption to have , just too bad its' made like junk...