1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

leaf rake?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i need to get a new leaf rake. whats ya all's opinions on these 3.
    Fiber glass handle
    Wood handle
    Aluminum Handle
  2. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Fiberglass all the way, I always break the wooden ones or bend the metal ones.
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have wooden handle rakes. Never tried the Fiberglass or Metal Handles. My thoughts would be this:

Metal Handles may bend if run over in a yard, etc. and be more expenseive to replace.

Fiberglass handles, again, may take more abuse, but when and if they break, cost more to replace.

Wooden Handles, you can get them almost anywhere for $2-4 for a replacement, and in fact, the rakes I have I bought for $4 a piece, so no big problem if one breaks here or there. Replace them as needed.
  4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the craftsman fiberglass ones from sears cause if you break em you can take them back in and they will replace it with a new one.
  5. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Maybe its just me but I seem to break the wooden ones within the first 15 min, the only thing about the Fiberglass handle is that they seem a little bit heavier.
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

So this is what it comes down to :confused: It is so slow we are discussing rakes? :sleeping: A 10.00 purchase, OK I'll bite.

I buy the cheap wooden handled ones without the spring thing in the middle, as simple a design as possible. My reason for this is we rake a lot of rocks and the tines wear out much faster than the handles break. I can usually get them for 7-9 bucks each.
  7. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I have always had great luck with the wood handles and tried the fiber glass but didn't care for them. The aluminum handles work great for my 42" leveling rake
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Wooden handled, rams-horn spring, metal tines. Ours gets very heavy use in the Spring and Fall, and we never have broken a handle. The metal tines can get slightly bent, and eventually wear down. Each one last about 3 seasons. All of recent memory have been Ames.

Yes, it is a small-ticket item, but it can sure improve or degrade productivity when using extensively.
  9. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Last season i i decided to bite the bullet and buy craftsman rakes. We use the stiff ones most not leafe rakes but the other kind. Anyway my help unloads their grass with these rakes because i dont have a dump on it. They were alwase breaking the rakes because the grass is heavy and wet and so on and they are help. I use to buy them for like 5 or 6 a piece where craftsman are like 20 i think well anyway we have got 5 between 2 helpers brand new rakes about one a month this reason, and you know what they just keep giving them to use for free. It is amazing sears hasnt called us out on this, but if they are advertising lifetime then im going to get what i paid for. So in my eyes this has been a good invesment
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

pclawncare... Try one of these for unloading grass.

It is unbreakable, heavy duty for the grass clippings, leaves, brush, or any other task where you want to pull debris off a truck or trailer. They have a smaller one (less $$ too), but not as heavy duty.

I have had one of these for many years. It has saved so much time for me -- no dump truck/trailer either. I can't imagine breaking this tool.