1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

leaf removal, best blower vac?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by kinneberg lawn service, Sep 23, 2011.

1. A+Grounds

A+Grounds LawnSite Member

haha ok but i have made customers because their current service just mulched over the leaves. but whatever works for you i don't have a problem with it

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have a handheld blower/vac, backback blowers, a 10HP walk behind blower, a rear bagger for my mower and a leaf vac/loader. The handheld blower/vac is strictly for detail work. For my solo operation the leaf loader didn't work. If I had a dump truck instead of a dump trailer that might change, but I have to pick between bringing my mower or the vac, so the mower wins. In general I use the backpack blowers to blow the leaves out to where I can grind them up a little and pick them up with the mower.

For about half of my lawns I blow the heavy accumulations to the woods and pick the rest up with the mower....large 2+ acre yards surrounded by woods. The other half don't have onsite disposal options so the leaves are gound up and picked up with the mower which I haul in my dump trailer in the spring and fall. My experience is that mulching works, to a point. You won't see me trying to mulch heavy accumulations of leaves into a lawn.