1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf removal / best practices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by petekief, Jul 2, 2004.

1. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting an accelerator (the big one) soon for leaf clean up this fall. What are some of your tricks or how do you approach fall clean ups. also is the accerator as easy to put on and take off as it looks?
    great site
    great information
  2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Fall cleanups this year will be done with 2 pb7001, a billygoat 10hsp, possibly another billygoat, and a 14' dump trailer with built up sides and a removable top so the leaf loader can pack in the leaves and then swinging open the top and all the other stuff aka sticks can go in.
  3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a similar system last Fall. I mounted a 16hp Billy Goat loader on the front of a dump trailer. The trailer is 10' long, so I built a 8' long box with a painters tarp screwed down as a top. The painters tarp let enough air out, but kept all debris in. The 2 extra feet behind the box was used for sticks and large debris.

I will be using the same system this year.
  4. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

do yopu have any pictures???
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

No pictures, as I take it apart to use the dump trailer for mulch and brush removal during the Spring and Summer.
  6. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I've never bought a leaf loader, although they sure look like the ticket when there are huge quantities.

But I have found a low tech method to use for huge leaf accumulations when you get to them while they are reasonably dry. I sweep/rake masses of leaves onto poly tarps (usually in the 12 x 16 size range) and drag them up into the trailer. I've got an 18' trailer with 4' high mesh sides. I spread one huge tarp in the trailer and hold it up the trailer sides with bungees, dump the smaller tarp onto it until I get a load about as heavy as I figure I can drag out at a dump site. From then on I load tarps and drag them in, just piling one tarp full of leaves on top of another until either the job is done or the trailer is full.

At the dump site, I drag out and dump each tarp of leaves until the traller is empty, and you might be amazed how quick that is. None of this unloading a pitchfork or scoop of leaves at a time like I see of lot of guys doing. I have available a city operated compost facility that charges a fairly modest fee based on the size of the load. I also bring some home and pile up and compost, but there is considerable labor involved in turning and watering the piles periodically to keep the cooking process going.

Where the leaves are not nearly so deep, my Grasshopper with bagger does a great job, I back into the trailer to dump on the tarp, spread as mentioned above.

But can't pile as high because the leaves are chopped by the GH and a too large pile weighs too much to drag off with tearing the tarp.