Leaf Removal Bid: Is this about right?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Nov 14, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Some gentlemen down my street called me yesterday and asked for a price on his lawn for leaf removal and winterization(fertilizing and trimming down of shrubs and flowers). I called him back last night and left a message of when Icould come out and give him an estimate. He said whenever, even if he wasnt home. So after school today, I took a look at his lawn. The lot is about 20,000 sq. ft. in size covered in leaves. I still have yet to call him and give him the final quote. I figure it would take me about 2 1/2 hours most to do the entire yard with my backpack and some tarps. With the fertilizng, I would be applying some Scott's winterizer homeowner fertilizer for now. So here is my final bid, what do you think?

Estimated time to complete services: 3 hours

Leaf cleanup- 2 1/2 hours( around $100 total)
    Fertilizing -1/2 hour( around $70 total)

Total Bid: $170.00

Is that to high or too low, or just fine?

2. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

looks good to me, let us know how it works out!

Keth

3. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

sorry to maybe burst your bubble lawn kid but do you have a lic. to apply this fertilizer ? you better ck into your states regulations it could end up costing you some serious bucks in fines depending on regulations

4. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

that sounds about right for someone your age. You might mention to the man that you cant put down the fert. I have seen more than one person make this mistake and it will cost you some serious jack. In Arkansas i think you can put down fert. just not pre-merge so check with your state plant board to find out.

5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Oh I didn't know that. I put that down on my flier though. Waht should I do? Thanks for all the replies. Peace

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Contact either your State Dept. of Agriculture, (their website will have the law(s) you're looking for regarding the fert. ap.. For the cleanup, what kind of mower are you running? A tractor, perhaps? If you are, you may want to consider using that to gather the leaves. Chop them up fist, and shuffle them to the top, at the very least. They'll blow alot easier that way. If you bolw these, make SEVERAL smaller piles, as to not try to push too much - too far. You can be alot faster this way. So often, if you're not looking at the big picture, it's easy to get focused on a task, and lose track of productivity. Before you know it, you're trying tp push larger amounts of leaves, when you COULD just seperate it, and cover more ground faster. Also, what do you plan on DOING with the leaves. I think you may be low on this cleanup, especially since you'll probably be doing a nice job on the beds and such, and it's going to take you WELL over 2.5 hours.

7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

It will take longer than 2 1/2 hours on a 20000 sq.ft, I think. You might be able to do it. Add at least another 45 min. to an hour in there, if you can.

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I gotta agree with Greenman. Leaves always take longer than you think. Add 45 to an hour to cover yourself in case its more than you figured. Greenman, love the "puker."

9. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Does the scott's winterizer have weed control or is it just a more balanced blend of nutrients? Don't panic till you look and see. You can apply fertilizer without a license, you just have to be licensed to apply weed/pest control products.

10. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, throw down some Rennaisance fert or some Milorganite. Both are organic and do not contain chemicals that fall under most states pesticide rules. And besides you will feel better about it afterward.

Keth

The organic revolution is coming to lawn care. Get ready. Let the worms live.