Leaf removal Can I make Money?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tcdodge4000, Oct 2, 2010.

1. tcdodge4000

tcdodge4000 LawnSite Member

Leaf removal season is soon to be coming upon and I am thinking about getting into it. I would like to know what are some good ways to make money and count up cost and charge for leaf removal, and curbside and cleanup. So do you have any ideas?

2. modedicebox

modedicebox LawnSite Senior Member

Dont do it! No money in it...Im ah kidding, Man hrs + dump fee. My favorite part of the year...GL

3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

seeing its the first year doing it, if you buy equipment,get your truck set up for cleanups, you will at best walk away even. thats if you get new blower $1500, new backpack $500, leaf loader $3000.00 leaf box $500-2000.00 see were im going? but if you start small and work your way up to new equipment you will be fine, it just makes it alot harder and takes longer but thats how most of us started... good luck to you...

4. stan the man

stan the man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

if you are set up you will my money. if not set up for it hang in and get what need as you can. fall and spring is my best time i enjoy doing clean ups

5. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

We make good money on leaf cleanups. But then, it's easy with our Walkers and Navigator. I almost feel guilty ... nah.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

OP: Do you have a list of regular mowing customers who require leaves to be cleared from their property? Or, are you not involved with lawncare and just wanted to jump in on the leaf removal part of the season?

If the former, how can you NOT do the work? If you have been visiting the same properties for many months doing other work, why would you want to jump out at the end of the season? If jumping out is your choice, why would you expect those same customers to retain your services in the Spring?

7. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have did it for the past 2 seasons. I have a vacuum bagger for my ZTR that I use for grass that works great for leaves. I put Gator blade and it shreds them as mow.We have a free dump site for leaves here in town. If you don't have one this type of system you can get a Billy Goat style walk behind vacuum.

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

oh yeah you can make money in it. but you don't need all that extra equipment some have suggested. i'd forget the walkbehind blower and the leaf loader and leaf box. i've been doing fall clean ups for 4 years now and i still have no plans on ever buying a leaf loader or leaf box. i already made the mistake of buying the walkbehind blower thats hardly been used.

i take my pickup truck pulling my enclosed 12' trailer loaded with a 36" wb equiped with a trac vac and my 52" grandstand with bagger and just mow them up weekly. mostly i use the 52" with bagger. the 36" wb is for the smaller backyards and the jobs that are extremely heavy with leaves.

i really could do without the trac vac just fine but since i have it, i use it. if i could sell it i probably would.

9. stan the man

stan the man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

you are right you don't need all the extra but it makes it easier with them. with my box and vacuum doing curb side pick up of leaves i make around 6000.00 more with them

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i guess if you do curb side pick up then yes you would. but i don't do curb side pick up.

the city comes twice a season to pick them up. since tax payer dollars pay for that try getting someone to hire you to pick up there piles of leaves at the curb.

if they hire you it's to remove them from the mulch beds and turf areas. not just the piles at the curb. for that you don't need all that extra stuff.