1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Removal equip

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by sms8921, Jun 13, 2010.

1. sms8921

sms8921 LawnSite Member

What do you guys have in your arsenal for leaf removal jobs? Does anyone use a cyclone rake? I am just wondering I know I need a good backpack blower but I am debating getting a cyclone rake they look like they really work good. thanks guys
  2. Matt Hermann

Matt Hermann LawnSite Member

I've got 2 backpacks and a walk behind little wonder. If your looking to get something for your tractor, check out one of those pull behind leaf collectors, like there is a little wire brush that spins as it moves, and it picks up leafs. Alot cheaper than a cyclone rake imo.

3. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a Cyclone Rake XL. Love it. I use my Bobcat ZTR to pull it and, once you get use to the size of the unit and how it handles, it works fantastic. The unit hardcouples to the back of the Z so it swings when you turn (it's not articulated), and it's got a pretty big swing. Unit is built well, runs and starts well and really packs the leaves in tight. Makes a lot of dust and is really loud, but I can do an acre of really heavy leaf coverage in about 3 dumps. I know when it's getting full because the steering on the Z gets crazy from the tailwag. I just dump at the street, I don't have an unloader, and I don't use the bagger inserts. I did get the steel liner and the double wheels. Also the yellow hose upgrade.
    Really like mine.
    The best part is the company really stands behind them, 6 months no obligation to buy, fantastic customer service and a well built machine.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  4. Total Grounds Maintenance

Total Grounds Maintenance LawnSite Member

I am too looking for something I can tow behind my ZT's. I don't know about those pull behing leaf collectors they kind of look cheesy. I need something that is compact enough to get into areas that a ZT will go, big enough to haul a boat load of leaves and can double as a tailgate loader too. This needs to be a commercial unit as it will run all day long. The cyclone rake says "home owners" so I don't think its industial grade.

I laugh when I see 20 + guys in a crew racking all day and loading/inloading on tarps LOL LOL It makes me want to ask the LCO why doesn't he/she just buy the right damn eqiupment for the jobs! With the right stuff you can shrink that crew down to 5. I see the same thing with snow removal and it makes me laugh.
  5. FiveOJoe

FiveOJoe LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I don't use mine commercially, but I think it's built well enough and if you get the Vanguard 9hp I think it would hold up fairly well as long as the operator isn't an animal. I do a few different properties with mine and it's run some pretty hard hours. The warranty I have says Commercial, 1 year, homewoners, 3 years. If I was to use it commercially I think I would just dump near the truck and use a leaf loader for loading. The unloader doesn't look like it's strong point.
  6. Bluffman

Bluffman LawnSite Member

I have a Trac-vac 655 pro. It uses 2, 44gal trash containers (16 bushells). I love mine. I looked hard at the Cyclone and have nothing bad to say about it but I wanted the flexibility to remove the containers and haul the stuff where I wanted. The Cyclone has to pretty much drive to where you want to dump and that was a deal breaker for my personal situation. At my own property, I dump in ravines out back and I can't drive right back to them to dump. Same story though, when it gets full, it tends to "steer" the mower a bit. then you know its time to dump. I also like the seperate engine so it doesn't load down the mower power as spindle driven units can do. But boy does it suck up leaves, grass and thatch from the Jrco rake.
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I use backback blowers, a walk behind leaf blower and the Ultravac on my ZTR. I have a 16HP leaf loader but never use it. It just seems like more work to me than it's worth for the accounts I have...having to get all the leaves out to the curb and then suck them up....I seem to do better grinding them up in place and picking them up with the mower. Bring the man to the mountain, not the mountain to the man sort of thing. Also have an Echo shredder/blower/vac thingy for window wells and corners and detail work. Don't use it much but nice to have.
  8. TennisBum

TennisBum LawnSite Member

I run over them with my OCDC closed and mulch them into oblivion. Then I go back over with the bagger on. Works great. You leave alot of material on the ground, but it's not even noticable. It's also good for the yard. You pick up very little and what you do get is like gold for gardens and beds. It's also the fastest way I've delt with leaves.
  9. TennisBum

TennisBum LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention, you don't need to buy a bunch of expensive, space hogging equipment. Just an OCDC and a bagger. Hopefully you already own these.
  10. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

Mulching is all well and good in areas that it works in.Just try to mulch a fenced in yard of sugar maples from upstate NY or vermont----it ain't happenin'