1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Removal for the Fall

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by boxoffire, Aug 31, 2004.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Folks, looking for a little advice to make leaf cleanup as easy as possibly should I send a flyer out to do this type work. All a first for me, except the old raking up and baggin manually a yard full of leaves which I haven't done in a long long time. Don't want to kill myself so here goes. I have a JD L110 Mulching mower (tractor) and was thinking of getting the rear bagger. Can I use this to get most of the leaves up and then bag them easily for hauling? Should I use a blower? How much leaf debris will be left over after mulching it with the JD? Just wanna find out the best method with tools I have, or possibly tools I could buy to make it a much easier job on myself.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Feel a bit embarrrassed when you are kinda new to all this. But I'm currently unemployed and need some cash.

Thanks again,

2. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

well first of all you need a backpack blower, i recommend redmax. what i do is i blow all the leaves outa the beds with my redmax and then move them with my 10hp billy goat blower. if the piles ever get to big i have a leaf plow on my scag and i just push them out to the steet. thats whats nice about the towns around here, you dont have to collect the leaves at the curb.
  3. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Good answer. I think some places in city here let you do that, but limited area for sure. I know you can't in my neighborhood and expect them to get picked up. A 10hb billy goat blower--LOL, that sounds powerful. Great name! I assume it's a walk behind blower that get's much more debris at once. Wonder if there is an attachment for my JD that can plow leaves into a pile? I'll have to check into that. Was my idea of mulching the leaves into bagger not really worth it if I can't plow leaves to a curbside?

Thanks snowyleaf for your previous response. Sure you can plow some snow up there come winter. Don't get that much down here.
  4. Goble's Lawn Service

Goble's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

i run over the leaves with the bagger and it works great....
  5. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

heres the company that makes them, jrcoinc.com. but i just cut down a piece of plywood and made a hookup that could allow it to fold up and drop down. works pretty well but i dosnt fit through gates and i hate tarping leaves. so i might go with 2 different sizes.

jrco also has a bagger that might work in you situation or try trac vac.