Leaf Removal in Ga

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mad_wrestler, Sep 8, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

This has been my first mowing season and the start of my first leaf removal season. I have an Exmark 48" Lazer Hp with gators and a mulch kit. My trailer is 16.5' x 6.5'. Without gobs of capital to invest, what should I look into buying? I have read that the Redmax 8000 blowers are the choice here. Also, should I purchase a collection system for my mower?

2. mad_wrestler

Should I look into an Utra Vac Collection System?

3. John_Deere Nut

John_Deere Nut LawnSite Member

hey madwrestler what part of GA do you live in? i'm asking because i live in GA too. i have a exmark too except mine is a 52 in. i bought the mulch kit to go along with mine. i haven't tried it yet, but i have seen it in action before and it is amazing how the leaves dissappear when it goes over them. i think for myself i'll use my mulching kit and then my stihl 420 to remove the leaves. hope u have a good season.

4. mad_wrestler

I am in middle Ga. Warner Robins, Houston County. Lat year we did a spring cleanup with a bunch of leaves. In my opinion it came out great and the customer loved it. But man, I did a search and kind of had my air taken out of my sail. Everybody was talking about dump trucks and loaders and this and that. So hopefully I will get some guidance from others that are in or remember when they were in my situation. Thanks a lot.

5. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I'm from Milledgeville. I've got the new Stihl BR 600...it's a great blower. Stronger, cheaper, lighter, and less bulky than the 8000. I've looked at both, and after weighing everything, bought the Br 600 for $491 with tax.

6. mad_wrestler

What should I be ready for this fall in this area?( Fubba and John Deere Nut) Is this as profitable down here as the guys up North? Prices about the same? Thanks

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Having been through a season of this with a limited budget, all I had was a catcher on my Lazer 44" HP. Needless to say, that was not an ideal setup. Luckily most of my clients had very few trees around.

The mulch kit alone might not be enough when you start to deal with large quantities of oak leaves. If you have a light covering, no problem.

I would for sure go for a leaf collection system on the Exmark. This will come in handy when you need to clean sweep the dormant Bermuda and Centipede lawns. You can use that all the way until next Spring when you start scalping Bermuda.

I would also want another mower with discharge/mulch to make your first run over the lawn. Nothing real fancy needed there. This would chew up the leaves quite a bit, and make your collection run much quicker. Starting first with the collection system would generate too much debris IMO.

Those leaf loaders and such are nice, but probably too much investment for the use they get.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Warner Robbins? Thats a bad word around here after that spanking we got last year at the dome :D I use my JD with the mulch kit and gators and you cant tell the difference in bagging or mulching when I finish. The BP blower though is very essentila if you are doing large leaf removals. I blow everything away from the house and flower beds and make it disappear. I will bag if the client demands and holds me at gunpoint. My mower with good sharp gators will even turn cussive pine straw into dust, best investment I have spent. I will say my 717 did better than the 737 though.