Leaf Removal is around the corner!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffh1988, Aug 8, 2004.

1. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Fall is approaching just wondering if anybody has any new ways of doing leaf removal? I have been using the tarp method but am thinking of investing in a leaf loader i think it would really improve my time. Anybody with picks of their leaf loader setup please post them.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

all I did was read the title of this thread and I had to cringe. I hate fall with a passion.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i've been keeping an eye on the local classifieds for a couple push blowers and possibly a truck loader before the fall rush and price jacks

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I cringed too... I don't know if its good or bad that most of my customers don't have a lot of trees. Most lawns I pile them at the curb for the town to pick up, or put them in bags.

5. tiedeman

from earth

See, where I live at there is no curb side pickup for leaves, so I have to haul everything away....what a pain. Like after 3 jobs, I have to go and dump the leaves

6. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, as long as we are on this topic lets hear how most people do it. Who here uses a catcher on a walkbehind? This looks as if it is going to be my most affordable option outside of the ol' bp blower and tarp. I haven't done this yet and I question how much leaf covered lawn I can get into one of those things? I hear others just put a mulch kit on and grind them to nothing, but I live in a fairly wooded area and don't see how that is going to work. Perhaps a combo of gator blades and a catcher will work, or at least I hope. Any info would be much appreciated. Oh, how many of you dump your leaves on the peoples property? especially if they have room for it, such as woods all behind them? It may not be the most proffesional but I don't have a choice!

7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I've already started some it seems like. Between rain storms making a mess, and the sycamore trees dropping almost all year...... i too hate the leaves, but love the 60 degree weather of the fall.

8. tiedeman

from earth

sailinstud,
    what I do is people that have a dumping area on their property I just use my billy goat and blow them there. Now people that I have to haul away, I first make a few passes over them with my gator mulchers on to mulch them down (really cuts back on the amount), then I throw on the bagger and suck them up and dump them in the leaf box on the trailer.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not aware of any areas around me that make you haul leaves away. You can either put them in bags or leave them piled by the street. But a lot of LCOs have leaf vacuums mounted in their trucks.

I'm only solo, not interested in spending the money for a vacuum that you use only 1-2 months out of the year.

If the customer has woods on their property, I'll drag them way back there on a tarp, unless the customer objects to this. I call this "Leaf Relocation" LOL

10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few in one town that have to be hauled away(one of the houses is usually a good 4 trips to the dump).In my home town we just pile them up curbside and the city comes by and sucks them up.