Leaf removal made a little easier

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DuraCutter, Oct 21, 2007.

1. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

This beast is a litter vacuum with 2 hose attachments. Sorry about the crap picture, I need a better cell phone. We like the ability to vacuum leaves in bushes with the hose attachments and sucking them off lawn, pavement with front snout that goes up and down. It's powered by a perkins diesel and is a straight vac into 2 55 gallon garbage bags. One limitation is it's climbing abilities but we've learnt to adapt. It complements our Little wonder vacuums and will do large areas while the smaller vacuums do the corners etc...

It's good at what it does and it also serves another purpose, the image it gives us. People look at it and know we're serious and taking care of their property.

We've got one of only 2 of these machines in our city of 1.2 million. Now this is one of our companies secrets in separating us from the competition. In everything we do, we acquire equipment that stands as being different and it enables us to charge way more. It's also a lot of fun to use these various machines and makes work soooo much easier.

:)

Tennant vacuum.jpg

2. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

So you only have to use that on the lawn...do you thouroughly blow through the lawn after or no..I know sometimes I go over the lawns with the mower but afterward I blow through the lawn really good getting everything out.

3. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty cool, mind if I ask you what one of those cost?

4. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't mention that it's only part of the solution and you're right, we blow the corners out and use the Little wonder in the tight spots but blowing the leaves is probably the biggest part making them available to be gobbled up. In some instances like today we did a condo and the corners were too small so we actually used rakes...rare but sometimes you can't get away from it.

This vacuum is not meant to go head on into a thick pile of leaves because you'll be changing bags every minute as it does not reduce leaves with an impeller, it's direct vacuum in, it's best used in the lighter areas and around bushes etc... The little wonder has an impeller so we do large piles with it because it'll reduce 3 to 1 or so.

The machine cost around $41k and serves many useful purposes. In the spring it sucks up leaves in parking lots before we sweep them with the tennant sweepers. It helps cut down on volume and the sweepers don't like leaves, they work best with only sand so the hoppers don't overfill too quickly.

It's only part of the leaf solution, just makes it easier for us.

:)

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder thou, if one couldn't fabricate one of these out of a used Golf cart,
    I seen a couple for sale for 2-3 g's, then all the hardware...

On that note thou, it might do well for boom spray systems as well.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

It is a great idea, NO correction it is a fantastic idea. The only reason I woulden't use it it looks totaly goofy and the capisity is small. I would feel like a bob spelled with 2 O's

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

maybe im not getting it, but is your $41K machine cleaning the lawn better than the way everyone else is doing it??? if not, how do you justify getting way more for your job like you stated?? are you coming more frequently?? with that investment are you saving alot of time? cant see how spending $41k will help you profit more? serious with my questions, not trying to be rude, i dont get it.

i use the giant vac 16z blower towed by my ZTR. that unit was only $3k and im extremely fast with it. i also cut the grass while blowign the lawn and charge for both.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I can answer the question.....ah.... NO!

If someone bought that just for leaf removal it would be a ******** investment. But he says he uses it for parking lot cleaning. That is a different story. Their is good coin in that department.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

who needs a leafe vac. I got a 20 year old leaf sweeper....the Olathe....It does great. but Id never put it on a resi yard...

DSC00026.JPG

10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like something you'd drive on Mars with a remote control lol

Sorry---for those of you that don't know...99% of my posts...are totally useless.