Leaf Removal NOT!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawrence stone, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Another year has passed and I have recycled 100% of the clippings leaves and thatch on my residential accounts.

One of the mowers I used is 52" Toro gear drive with double blades that I paid $700 with a standard toro sit down sulky last winter.

It took me about $200 in parts ($100 of that for missing deck shields) to make it a front line mower. Notice the fancy weight on the front. Also take a good look at the sulky for they don't make them like that anymore.

The following pics taken on 11/16 at a homesite surrounded on three sides by nothing but woods. The lawn was double cut on 11/16, double cut on 10/27 and single cut on 10/14.

The lawn is cut low on purpose so it does not trap leaves all winter plus there will be less thatch to bring up next spring.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1209854&a=10096867

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Larry,

What are you using to pull the trailer. Looks like a station wagon?

Homer

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

YOU CALL THAT A LEAF CLEAN UP? HA! I SEE TREES IN THE WOODS BUT WHERE ARE THE LEAVES SUPPOSE TO FALL? MOSTLY IN THE WOODS! A FEW BLOW OUT INTO THE GRASS AS YOU CAN SEE IN THE PICTURE OF YOUR RIDE!

PLEASE, SHOW US SOME PICS OF OF SOME OF PENNSYLVANIA'S PALACIAL RESIDENTIAL ESTATES THAT YOU CARE FOR WITH PLENTY OF TREES. PREFERABLEY DOZENS OF MAPLES AND OAKS IN THE LAWN! NOW THAT'S A LEAF CLEANUP THAT MOST OF US ARE USED TO!

oh! and by the way, thanks for showing us that you stoop to residentials like the rest of us bottom feeders!

an have a great holiday.

GEO

4. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

nice pics those are the b4 right because i caught some leftover leafs and only scrubs leave leftovers couldnt find any leftovers on my lawns keep up the good work

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Boy you got about 1/4 of the leaves we have up here, leaves are bagged with our Walkers and loaded in truck from a Billy Goat truck loader ( almost impossible to mulch up here) at least 90% or close have to be bagged and trucked off with the rack bodys. More money that way for us. We have 2 or now have 1 like your Toro we sold one, sat here not being used but I kept one cause you can cut anything anytime with those mowers even in the rain. We were gonna try double blades but been to busy to try. Winters coming ill install the double blade set up this winter. Its a 52" Belt driven one and has 2000hrs and still mowing with no problems, boy we got our money out of that machine 5fold!

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Why go thru the effort in futility of grabbing every leaf, if the leaves from other properties are still blowing around???

7. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

hey stone nice photos.... if it work for you so be it but i do have a question that pipe could it possiably be a mount for an attactmanet .....uhmmmm.......????? because that would be a easier way to mount a dump bed on my 36 than what i have come up with ....... thanks for an easier idea......

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 11-23-2000 at 12:42 PM]

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

thelawnguy wrote:

<b><i>Don't get mad. Get smart.<u>My Home Page</b></i></u>

Is that really you Rush? Or did you mean <u>My Startup Page</u>?

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

How big is the lot?

How long were you on it for all of those double cuts?

How much did you get for that job ($$$) in your neck of the woods?

I'll let you know what my rate would be for picking them up with the Walker when I get your particulars.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Nice pics Lawrence,
    I have some yards that just will not mulch all the way 70% layer of thick mulch left. Usually these are the maple type of leaves. I have given up on my lazer23hp as being a mulcher at all. Takes entirely too much time to do any good. I am now using my 22-1/2hp 4 cylinder deisel kubota to mulch or 36 bushel bagger to vac leaves. With the 36 bushel operation it take even less time than the mulching. But it is more expensive to run. I have many yards that can get knee deep in leaves. Especially after you blow out the beds. I try to do both in different situations.