1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf removal prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landsscaping, Oct 25, 2004.

1. landsscaping

landsscaping LawnSite Member

Here in North East Ohio the average going leaf rate it $.50 per man minute. We also include ZTRs equipped with baggers and the Truck loader with the $.50 per minute rate. I'm interested to see if the rates elsewhere are in the same ballpark.
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

45 per man hour , 10 dollar an hour fuel surcharge, an one hour minimum. 3 men to a crew ,135 per hour, even if it takes 15 minutes. our average job is 250 an we do weekly service which makes our leaf business very successful. so the average customer gets leaf service 3 times an on the final cleanup we also do the gutters . this system works well. i used to wait till all the leaves were down an that takes to long an ties you up when you can go by weekly or bi weekly an it relieves you from the bulk of the leaves an it doesnt fill your leaf box up so you can get more jobs done per day . hope this helps i have been doing leaves 22 years an every year gets better an better . leaves are very profitable !!!alot of companies dont wanna invest in the equipment to do leaves cause it is such a short season . word to the wise,,, invest !!
  3. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

ok, i'm having a prob w/some of my leaf cleanups here in jersey. I went to the hourly rate this year. I told my customers that i would do it on a bi-weekly basis because i'm very time constrained. The prob is that where getten some done in 30-45 min and i'm only charging them for that. Am i wrong for this or should i be charging them for the full hr even if it's less than that. I could prob make more if i just doubled the cutting cost.

4. landsscaping

landsscaping LawnSite Member

I was having the same problem as ince8728. That is why I started charging by the minute for the truck loader and the bagger...It's an extra dollar per minute. It has helped me raise the profit on my leaf jobs to a price I am comfortable with. BadBoyGeorge mentioned the fuel surcharge I am going to try that with my "one time leaf job clients."
  5. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

so u charge $135 3x times?
  6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

thats the minimum ,, if not more
  7. Tri Village Lc

Tri Village Lc LawnSite Member

I'm In Columbus, Oh we charge $40 per man hour to the curb. an extra $25 added for use of truck loader per job. And $25 hual fee. Plus we mow until late november so we get that to. So a very common example for us is $40 per man x 2m = $80 + $25 for loader + $25 hual fee weather it fills the whole box or a quarter of it with land fill 2 miles away. + on ave $32 per cut for residential = $162 per lawn per week. This is one of the reasons I got into this business. I make almost more money in 6 to 7 weeks than I do mowing . People will and do pay these prices. I've been doing this for 13 years and the only thing that has changed for me is the m/h rate.