Leaf removal pricing advice needed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by smallstripesnc, Nov 15, 2013.

1. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone,

The place we've been dumping our leaves doesn't want anymore and now we're forced to pay to dump since I can't find anywhere else thats free in our area. For our trailer load its been averaging around $40 for a full load. So now my pricing needs to be adjusted to cover the dump fee.

I want to know if my pricing is too high or not. Everyone that has been calling wanting pricing hasn't been happy with the higher prices and they all say I'm way too expensive. Keep in mind that we do leaf removals without mulching them with a mower. We blow them out of the beds, natural areas, off all hardscapes and out of the lawn to the curb and suck them up with a leaf loader and haul them off.

For 1/4 acre lots I'm asking $120 and for 1/3 acre I'm around $160 or so. Is this way too expensive? Keep in mind I'm mainly advertising on craigslist and theres tons of people asking $35 to maybe $50 for a leaf removal which I just don't get how they can do it that cheap.

2. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I think your pricing is too low to begin with, hourly rate x hours + extra for disposal, I don't do any lots near that big, typically under 10,000 sq. ft. and I'm typically much higher than the prices you said. I do it the same way, blow everything out as clean as I can get it, suck it up, cut the lawn with the bagger on (nice and short), I also do the gardening if needed(cutting back perennials). I assume most of your clean-ups take aleast 2 hours with a helper maybe? too low, I'm sure all others will say the same. Just my opinion.

3. cjw457

cjw457 LawnSite Member

All you can do is burn them or compost them or mulch them up and use them for mulch in the bed areas for insulation. Its way to expensive to go to the dump or landfills now days.

4. Middle Tennessee Lawn

Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member

Here if its a modest amount of trees and the customer is not a weekly customer i charge at least 3x what i would for mowing and my min. Mowing is 35.00
    I am very lucky I have large spot where i dump and burning goes on 365 days a year fire never goes out will post picture of burn pile
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

your advertising on craigslist that's why everyone is saying your too expensive because they are wayyyy to cheap. also I can't tell you what's too expensive and too cheap, because I don't know what it costs you to run your business and how much profit your trying to per day or per week. so you really have to figure out how much you need to make to cover all your expenses then how much profit you want. after you figure out how much it actually costs you to do business then you can figure out how much you want to make after everything is paid. personally it costs me $58 dollars every day of the year to run my business, including gas and diesel, but that's one truck, one mower, working on my own. so doing that, I could do clean ups for 60 dollars if I wanted to but I wouldn't make very much profit doing that. so I don't.

6. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on how many leaves, don't know how much coverage you get in NC, but from the pics I've seen here from southern states it doesn't appear to be very much so its hard to say if you're on the money. Most people here that have posted from southern states are able to mulch the leaves which would be cheaper if it doesnt take very long. Saves the dump fee. We pay $40 per trailer load to dump. If they are indeed only charging $35-$50 and are staying in business then it sounds like they're mulching them or have a free dump site. .
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  7. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

Is that based off an 8 hour work day?

8. RSK Property Maintenance

no i haven't figured out what my hourly costs are but knowing what i need to make per day is pretty good, i don't work an 8 hour day hardly ever in the spring they are longer, in the summer they might go up to 10-14hr days depending on how ambitious i feel that morning then in fall my work days go down to a 6-7 hour day tops....

9. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

Yeah I hear ya, I just wasn't sure if it was for 8 hours cause we work generally in the same market.

10. RSK Property Maintenance

cool I think i've seen your ad in the reminder?