leaf removal setups and procedures

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by GreenscapesWV, Oct 26, 2011.

1. GreenscapesWV

GreenscapesWV LawnSite Member

the way we have been doing leaves the past 5 years is we will bag them when there are very few leaves on the ground to make it look neater and charge a double cut, then when the beds start getting leaf collecting and gathering in them we will blow out the beds 1$/ per minute per blower and then bag ( if possible). when you can barely see the grass in parts we will do a full cleanup of beds and grass. I am charging 55-60 pmh blowers rakes tarps and getting around $50-60 per 7x16 dump trailer with 2.5' sides hauled off.

I was thinking about getting the hopper/ clam shell bagger for 2 of my mowers with the propellers on the side to help chop it up and i think i can do leaf cleanups with that even when the leaves are ready for a full blower cleanup?? have any of you guys used this style bagger for cleanups and how much faster are they than blowing them with blowers? thanks alot

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch kit. Real fast.

3. tosborn3

tosborn3 LawnSite Member

If you have a dump trailer i really like little wonders suction system. You just blow them in a pile and suck the leaves into the trailer.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We use clam style baggers, they work well and the leaves shred well through them which saves a ton of room in the truck.

5. dutchacres

dutchacres LawnSite Senior Member

I run mulching kits but basically do everything the same way you do. In my area I am the only one that even offers fall clean up services. I tell people I mulch them up and they think I just mow the lawn and discharge them around then I explain what I mean about a mulching kit. I run a MOD Deere and I am thinking I may invest in a bagger for it next fall. I do mostly commercial properties but two of them are apartment and nursing homes so it would be nice to make the front areas looks perfect vs having the debris laying around. I think you would be more happy with a bagger than a mulching kit since your customers already used to you hauling off the leaves. Mulching kits work very well but it you look close enough there is shredded leaves in the lawn and for residental lawns most people perfer the cleaner look of a bagger.

6. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Cyclone Rake

7. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

what is, and who sell a clam style bagger?

8. TheMadLandscaper

TheMadLandscaper LawnSite Member

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

thank you for saying that.

finally another person besides myself who gets that.

i hear so many people on here "mulch them".....

not everyone wants there leaves mulched.

my process is to come very week mowing up the leaves in the turf. when the mulch beds look like need a clean out i spend the extra 15 min. to blow them into the turf. i make one pass with the catcher letting it fill up then i empty it. make a second pass with the catcher and things are spotless. no shredded leaves left in the lawn.

10. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

@TheMadlandscaper - thanks so much - I am not sure where my head was when I asked the question I kept trying to figure out what one would look like on my wb so wonder I was in space :)