Leaf removal/snow removal pricing

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by nodak345, Jul 6, 2008.

1. nodak345

nodak345 LawnSite Member

This fall me and a few guys are going to do leaf removal for some extra money when we all get back up to our college house. We plan on getting door hangers made and advertising on craigslist. I was just wondering how we should price out properties for a complete leaf removal (lawn and rock/mulch beds)?

The second part is, we also plan on setting up some residential snow removal jobs for extra cash during the winter, what is appropriate pricing for this? We will have 2 crews with 2 guys in each crew. One will snowblow and one will shovel out the hard to reach places.

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

You won't make squat with a snowthrower.... by the time you get anything done...the snow will be melted, get a plow!

3. nodak345

nodak345 LawnSite Member

i thought about going that route... any good ideas for a reasonably priced plow that will work on a 01 1500 silvy...?

4. nodak345

nodak345 LawnSite Member

Well, i just did a bunch of searching throughout the forums and some google action. Theres no way i can afford a decent plow... not sure what i can do there. I also realized i posted this in the wrong section...DOH.

I'll figure something out with the snow stuff later, for now i need to figure out if it is going to be cost effective to do leaves. We really don't have much to work with. We could all chip in for SOME equipment but i'm really not sure what we need and what we could do without. I'm thinking for sure we need some tarps, 2 backpack blowers, a few rakes... not sure if we can get by with that much. We plan on doing small yards, so i think we can get by without the vacs and mulchers.

Let me know what ya'll think

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

stay in school and get a degree so you don't have to do this!!!! or move south so there's no snow to shovel??

that's college for ya, 250,000$ education and he cant this going!!! hopefully he is a better doctor.........

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Really...:confused:

7. nodak345

nodak345 LawnSite Member

.... i am staying in college? I'm actually going for business to a good school... and as i stated before this is just for some extra cash. I make enough during the summers to cover my winters basically. I'm just looking for something to do to make some extra cash and that i can do around my college schedule.. which is 11-3 monday-friday.... which works well for getting these kinds of jobs done.

I'm a pretty smart kid, I could figure this out on my own... i'm just looking for some advice to make this efficient and easier on me.

Thanks.

8. treegal1

easy freshman, just busting ya up a little.LOL listen with the crappy labor laws here we had to get a vac, it was cheap ----500$ i think they had some for 75$ 2 rakes and a vac and your set, maybe a vac/blower?? there is also a weekly rental from some stores that rent, it is usually 3 days rental and the week is free, so the home owner is not able to compete. other than that its man power that you need. pay attention to cost of labor, pay em in beer LOL. and get a big metal wire basket, like chicken wire or hardware cloth, traps tear to easy.

good luck with that MBA.........glad your not a doctor:laugh:

9. nodak345

nodak345 LawnSite Member

haha im a sophomore this year! We will have the man power, im living with 5 guys and 4 of them are in for sure. We're meeting august 1st up at our house to talk it over and get a plan together. Then we will start advertising around the neighborhoods and see how it goes. I'm still not sure what kind of rates we should charge, and how we should approach customers about clean-up scheduling (when to clean up and how many times to return or to wait until they are all down). If we wait until they are all down i'd think you'd need to charge more with more leaves down...

Thanks

10. treegal1

its a service, more times the better? I trim palms here LOL what is this snow you say??LOL get them on a weekly plan.
    wait around and another guy gets your leave$. if they care about the leaves they are anal retentive about the yard and they have the $ to get it done, try google earth, aim for the big yards in the high end hoods, I got a little house I rake my own!!!