Leaf Removal Techniques

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brymenke, Jul 12, 2004.

1. brymenke

brymenke LawnSite Member

What techniques do you guys and gals use for leaf removal? I've read some postings on here regarding the "Little Wonder" blowers and truck loaders. Are these worth the investment? Is running a mower over the lawn with a bagger an effective means to pick up leaves? What are your tricks? Thanks, Bryan

2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

This year we plan on mulching the leaves first with a walk-behind and then going over the lawn and picking up the mulched leaves with a bagger on a tractor!
    However you do it there is no easy way to do leaf removal

Joe Wood
    Wood Brothers Lawn Care

3. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Wood Brothers, chopping them up with a mower first before collecting is definitely the way to go. Saves a lot of time emptying the bagger.

4. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

well bryan some people out there think picking up leaves is so hard.. I find it fun and make good money... We use 2 wonder blower's and we also got a walk behind billy goat with reverse and 5 gears... We blow most of the bulk leaves out to the road or if there's wood's just blow them in there... Then we take 2 60' inch riders with trac-vac on them they do the best job ever.. I love exmark's trac vac system.. the only time they clog up is if its wet leaves or wet grass good luck

What techniques do you guys and gals use for leaf removal? I've read some postings on here regarding the "Little Wonder" blowers and truck loaders. Are these worth the investment? Is running a mower over the lawn with a bagger an effective means to pick up leaves? What are your tricks? Thanks, Bryan

5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put MEG MO blades on. We have not picked up leaves for the past 6 yr.

6. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

The Meg Mo's do mash up the leaves something fierce, but I've seen people try to do that technique up here in upstate NY and customers hate it. The leaves choke out the grass in the fall being that heavy, and leave the grass suspect to winter molds...plus in the spring when you leave that many shreaded leaves on the surface, the water can't permiate in the ground as well. It's not very smart

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

We blow them out of bed with a BP blower, run them over with the Walker and then put on the spring tine dethatcher to pick any that are matted to the ground. Dump them in the street and then suck them up with the truck.

grain truck complete.jpg

8. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Mulching leaves without bagging is alot easier but it doesn't look nearly as good as removing them..It's definetly worth the extra work.

Joe Wood
    Wood Brothers Lawn Care

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Depends on what you are using for equipment. I can make a lawn look like its been bagged but when I only mulch.

10. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

We have it easy here. Just use backpacks and walk behing blowers to blow them out into the street. Then use a walkbehing mower with the blades off to "plow" them into piles. They can move some pretty big piles.

Towns come and pick them up.