Leaf Removal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spinrider2000, Aug 9, 2006.

1. spinrider2000

spinrider2000 LawnSite Member

Newbie at leaf removal. For everyone experienced at leaf removal, knowing what you know, what equipment would you buy? I see a lot of zero turns with a hopper. Is this the "cost effective" method? If I go looking for equipment does horsepower, hopper size, of any brand make a difference! In reality, after all the cost and effort are there PROFITS in removal or just more work. thanks, my first new post.

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I bought a Scag Wildcat last year and opted for the "3-bag" system instead of the bagger. My thinking was that since it held more, I woul dhave to make fewer stops. Well, that's what I get for thinking. With a hopper, you don't get off the machine, you simply back up to whatever, dump and go. Even though it doesn't hold as much, it probably takes less time.

Get the biggest back-pack blower you can afford. No wait...just get the biggest back pack blower period! IF you have boorrow a few bucks it's well worth it!

3. spinrider2000

spinrider2000 LawnSite Member

highgrass, so you are saying get a hopper and get the biggest blower. I have a gravely zt but looking for a new zt (scag is one possibility). Do you mean a pull behind hopper or one mounted to the machine. I have a Red max 7001 blower currently. Also, are there good profits for the time spent? thanks, spin

4. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Yea. If I have the bagger system set up on the back of my Scag Wildcat.

[​IMG]

But, if I had to do it over, I would get the dump box instead.

[​IMG]

There is good money to be made in both fall and spring clean-ups...at least up here. Lots of leaves here in MA. I worked right up to the first snow last year.

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

hoppers are good if you have a dump spot. But if your mowing grass and have to haul it away now what? bag it then dump it on the ground. you have it collected then have to dump it just to pick it up into the truck again. I see alot of people wasting time doing that. use the baggers with cloth bags then throw them in the truck. Your back pack is good. only one size down from the top. I've used the 7001 and the 8001. 7001 is enough. You should atleat pick up a push blower too. Like a little wonder or a billy goat. 9 horse is enough for one guy 13 hp little wonder will blow brick across lawns. the leaf piles get to big for just a back pack

6. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Very true, but for leaves (for me) I can think of plenty of times last year where the dump would have been better than bagging. Problem is, when it comes to grass, you're right, bagging is better. What cloth bags do you use though? Are they capable of being used in any equipment?

7. Uranus

from Mass

I have a 60 inch exmark lazer with the ultra vac system. It works alright. Never used the scag. I think the bags look to tall and look like they could get pretty heavy with wet grass in the mornings and spring. How old are you?

8. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

47. Truthfully, I hardly bag grass at all. I only have one customer out of 55 that requests to be bagged and even then it's only every other week. At this point in the year, I barely get one full load after doing is entire yard.

The bags are heavy but it's not too bad as long as you're not reefing them to far. When I'm doing leaves, they stay pretty light.

Monson?...I'm about 10-14 miles east of you.

9. Uranus

from Mass

yea where at. nice heat wave last week. It sucked for me tuesday morning i woke up with 102 fever that didnt break untill friday morning. got all the lawns mowed solo

10. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Actually, I should say west. Amherst. Last week did suck. I went out Tuesday and got pretty sick. Stomach cramps, headache. Went home around 1. Last year I killed alot of grass on one lawn when it was hot. I'm a little gun shy when the temp gets much above 95.

102? That sucked. heat related?