leaf removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lawnboysmfs, Nov 5, 2006.

1. lawnboysmfs

lawnboysmfs LawnSite Member

Im new to this but would like to try and make a little money at it.Where do I start? I have backpack blowers and they seem to do a fair job of pilleing the leaves now what is the best way and most afordable way to get them in the truck to haul them away?

2. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Best: 16 hp (or larger) leaf loader
    Affordable: rake and tarp

3. B&J

B&J LawnSite Member

We use a gas powered vaccum attached to a garbage can the vaccum sucks the leaves and mulches them then deposits the mulch in the garbage can.
    The attachment and the vaccum can be bought at any Home Depot.:cool2:

4. lawnboysmfs

lawnboysmfs LawnSite Member

I dont understand the tarp thing can someone explain.Maby lay out a large tarp blow the leaves on the tarp then try to poor them into a truck bed or somthing? sounded silly at first but the more i think about it the better it sounds not a bad way for the entry level leaf collector like myself.

5. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Tarps are for losers. And before you know it, you'll be hooking a chain to the truck to pull a stump and sharpening your blades with a belt sander. Go to Depot, spend $45 on a green barrel, put leaves in barrel, put barrel in truck. Lets do some math here. First, why use a tarp? Is it because you can get alot more on a tarp than a barrel? I can pack a barrel to no end and it will weigh about 50 lbs. It's safe to surmise that a loaded tarp will weigh 100-150 lbs. Just how does one lift this into a pickup, much less a rack truck? What about narrow gates? What about not grinding the grass at a time of near when it won't grow back? A green barrel fits all circumstances and doesn't cause damage. You either have the muscle for this job or you don't.:weightlifter:

6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess Im a loser then but I can move a lot more leaves and grass with a tarp than a little green barrel especially if you got to walk a couple of hundred feet. Barrels are for monkeys....

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Darn! I've been doing it wrong all these years? Hmmm...It seems that I can get 50 lbs. of leaves on a tarp WAY faster than ANYone can get 50 lbs. of leaves in a barrel. Guaranteed......

8. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

what have I been thinking all these years(15 years). I can make 20 trips with a pile or 5 trips with a tarp. a pile does have a spot in the spring with wet leaves because they rip the bottom out of tarps and just to heavy.

9. dennys-lawn

dennys-lawn LawnSite Member

We Mulch With Mower And Pull Behind Lawn Sweeper ($199.00). We Can Service More Yards With Fewer Trips To Dump. Mulching Breaks Down Leaves So They Pack Easier.

10. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Tarp then leaf loader, maybe a pusher if the pile its close enough to the truck