1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by reconthree, Oct 13, 2003.

1. reconthree

reconthree LawnSite Member

I am looking to make leaf removal more efficient. I have been looking at lawn vacuums by Billy Goat, Bear Cat, and Giant-Vac. Would like to have feedback on what to use

Thank You
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have never heard any type of good information regarding vaccums, perhaps get a WP blower instead
  3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

waste of money

mikes 8 simple rules for clean ups

#1 put gators or some type of mulcher blade on your mower.run doubles if possible.

#2 get a good bag for your w/bs or ZTR.the biggest you can get

#3 get a good BP blower like the shin eb630,echo 750 or the redmax 7001

#4 good strong tarps to drag leaves from the back yards to the front.

#5 8hp to 11 hp leaf blower giant vac,little wonder,or billy goat

#6 at least a 1/2 ton pickup with a EZ dumper or some type of bed unloader

#7 leaf loader, know smaller than 11 Hp, giant vac makes a nice unit for around 1495.

#8 get a friend or family member to help you.better yet get a few of them.

those lawn vacs are a waste.i used one for five hours and it was faster to hop on the ztr with a bag
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

reconthree, are you talking about a leaf loader? or a walk behind vacuum. If a loader I would say Billy goat, or Giant vac. If you are talking about a walk behind with a bagger, don't even waste your money. :cool:
  5. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

Is it a bad idea to have gators on when using a grass gobler? i.e. will you not be able to bag well?
  6. reconthree

reconthree LawnSite Member

Keep the Gators on, It helps to reduce the leaves and grass when you are bagging

To the above posts. I have already made my mind up. I didn't want to spend the 1,600 for the DFS vac system for my Toro Z, so I went with the side bagger. Works great!!!