Leaf Removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aw3375, Nov 21, 2003.

1. aw3375

aw3375 LawnSite Member

I am new in the lawn care business and I am looking for a good equipment manufacturer for leaf removal equip. I am currently using a homade vac system that I built onto the front of my euipment trailer so I could maximize the number of lawns I can do in one day. The vac unit that I built works great but, it takes way to long to empty. Also it is on the front of my trailer so it adds a lot of tounge weight when it is full. The trailer is 1250lbs. and the vac unit is 4' tall x 6' wide x 8' long, so it holds a lot of leafs. I also put a Grasshopper front mount mower on the back of the trailer. I am pulling this with a 99 Ford Ranger so I need to get something with less tounge weight. Even if it just a vac unit that I can pull and I can get another truck to pull the equipment. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest a product made by Giant Vac. They have several styles to choose from. Units that fit into pick-ups and self dump with 4 cubic yard box or totally self contained units. We use a tow be-hind 30hp Giant Vac and blow the leaves into a fabricated box. I have seen alot of companies using the billy goat vac's truck loader type, but the impellers are weaker in them versus the Giant Vac. Also, for the price comparison Giant Vac blows it out of the water.
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

How much money are you looking to spend?
    I'd say sell the Ranger, get a 3/4 or 1 ton pick up. Get a dump insert. Build a box on the truck to hold leaves.
    Get a leaf loader on a swing out mount and rig it so you can still pull a trailer.

This all won't be cheap though.

Truck price can range a lot obviously.
    Dump insert will run $1900-2900 depending on model and options.
    Swing mount leaf loader - $2300-3000.

This way you only have ONE truck and trailer to worry about. The dump insert will come in handy for many other things too.

How much can you get for the Ranger?
  4. aw3375

aw3375 LawnSite Member

The Ranger probably is not worth what I owe on it now. It is in excellent shape and has no mechanical problems, but it is a 99 with 115K on it. Selling it would not be an option at this point, however I agree with you that I need to get a larger truck.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Yeah, I use to have a '99 Dodge Dakota. It just wasn't the right vehicle for me, for this business.

I sold it and bought a '96 Ford F-250, and am glad I did.

And since I didn't have the money to buy an EZ Dump, I went with a LoadHandler for now.

I was lucky enough to find a nice used tailgate mount leaf loader for $750.

It will all do for now, but I do hope to get an EZ Dump and maybe a swing mount for the leaf loader by next fall.

Not sure what to suggest to help you with your problem though.