1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

leaf removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by barefootlawns, Oct 11, 2004.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

from a southern point of view mulch or side discharge going over the leaves until they disappear...faster and less work but less money as well but it beats hauling bags/tarps of leaves all day.
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Why is it less money? Cleaning the leaves off of a lawn should theoretically cost the same whether you use a rake and tarp, a mower with mulch kit, or blowers and a leaf vac. Theres no reason you should get paid less for working smarter.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

well like i've said in posts before...it's a region thing...noone in the south is gonna pay you $200-$250 to remove leaves from their yard...no matter how you do it...they might pay you $50-$100 depending on the size of the yard...i agree with you though...to me smarter is the way to go...i'm not out there trying to kill myself to earn a few bucks...i'm gonna do it the easiest way i can and do a good job at the same time...i sure aint gonna get out there and haul bags/tarps of leaves for $50...the easiest way is to just run over them with the mower...it works for me....i might use the leaf blower if it's a small yard and blow them into the woods or something if that's an option....but i never rake, bag, tarp, etc. leaves...even if they did pay me well it's not worth it to me.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. tuffram

tuffram LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing like the southern long leaf pine straw, I would like to see it put into bags ect. they would be holes poked all in the bag then it would burst open. Rake it into piles and burn it that is about the only way to do away with it.
  5. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

we bag it with our walkers and dump it in the street and vac it up . or we blow it to the street and vac it up .

tennessee is just above alabama for those southern boys who dont know and we do a lot of $250.00 cleanups and have cleanups approaching $1000.00 and $75.00 is our minimum period . we bill 40.00 per man hour plus 5.00 per dump of a walker box on big jobs and 60.00 a man hour and 5.00 per dump on small jobs . The best bang for the buck is a dump trailer vac and 2 large backpacks / no push anythings .
  6. yard_smart

yard_smart LawnSite Senior Member

7. Diddy

Diddy LawnSite Member

what model turf sweeper and industrial pull behind vac do you use?