leaf removla fees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BLL, Jul 26, 2002.

1. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

I know this has been posted befre but i couldnt find any good info on it and with this years economy things are changing anyways. I had a guy approach me the other day wanting a estimate for leaf removal. I normally charge byt eh hour for this but he was insistant on getting an estimate. he told me this;

lat years company brought liek 3 to 4 guys in and it took them about 7-8 hours per cleanup. He wants it cleaned up 2 times this fall. its only about 5000ft^2 but a lot of beds and hard areas. also about 3-4 HUGE oaks and a bunch of little trees. I got a 48 wb, a 36 wb, br 400 and grasscatchers, i have t haul teh leaves away also.

Any sugestions?
    Thanks

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

5-8hp push blower.
    16-20hp Leaf loader
    Some type of dumping truck bed with sides and tarped top.

Blow in to huge piles 20' wide by 75' long. Back truck and leaf loader up to pile. Suck them up. Go dump, come back and suck some more! Oaks take till spring to drop around here. Are you sure they're Oaks?

Dont think that you will be able to do this with a grass catcher on the 48 WB. You'll be there till this time next year!

You could always Sub it out!?

3. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

I am also interested in what all of you are charging for fall clean-ups and how you come to that amount?

Thanks,
    Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

4. BLL

BLL LawnSite Member
    from MD

i got a 16 foot trailer that i can fab a leaf body for but how much does a leaf loader cost? i may be interested in getting one this year if not next!

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

BLL,

Does that trailer DUMP? If not, how are you going to get them out?! Leaf loaders pack leaves and debris pretty dense. Pitchfork would take about an hour or more!

Leaf loaders vary by type/size/hp, etc.

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

I was just about to post a question about leaf loader when I saw this post. I am in market for leaf loader but the only problem is how am I supposed to take the leaves out of leaf box after it is loaded up. I cannot afford a dump trailer and my truck is a Toyota pickup shortbox. I am wondering if anyone have any experience with reversing the vaccum tubes to make the leaf loader suck the leaves out of the box, blowing the leaves out. Will it work well? How do you set it up? Thanks.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Yes someone has done a reverse tubing to suck things out, but not on a truck loader. http://cyclonerake.com/ makes a trailing vac with it's own engine and flexible impellers. They are made to dump or bag, or you can reverse the suction by hooking up different tubes. All they have are quick clamps on the hoses. I think they might show what you are looking for on the website. Just to give you an idea of maybe make one like this for a truck loader, but it'll be pretty slow compared to dumping. Well theoritically it should be about the same amount of time to unload as it would be to load the same amount except maybe longer because they will be shredded some, so not as fluffy and light per sq. in. as non shredded leaves.
    An idea.....
    Eric

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

4 guys on 5000sf lawn taking 8 hours?????? What the heck were they doing, playing around?? That's 32 man hours for 5000 sf. :dizzy:
    Heck, you could cut the trees down quicker. haha

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

OOPPSSS!

When I first read it, I though it was 50,000sq/ft! :( Now I see its only 5,000 sq/ft. Heck my driveway is bigger than that! You CAN do this with your grass baggers and a rake, and the backpack. No loader needed. Sorry, I have that ZERO disease.. :D I see them and instantly begin looking for the $ sign, and sometimes miss how many are there!!

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with adding zero's. Especially after $$$$$ signs. :)