leaf rigs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XLS, Nov 22, 2009.

1. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

I am just curious of this but , when you guys began having to haul leaves say in year 1 or 2 what size containment boxes was you using? and was you mulching/bagging or did you just blow them up and use a vaccume to load them . i am just wondering how i should start my new crews out .

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

3. XLS

ALCgregH Thank for that insite except i am looking for the regular startup setup and 98% of those on that post are where we are and that is far from startup i want to know what the 1 and 2 year guys are running to have something to go off of .

see 10+years ago here i started with a 16' trailer with 4' walls and due to the LARGE lawns around here it would be full by mid day . in other towns i see much smaller setups are being used lawn freaks got one simular to our smallest one but i want to base my decission on something besides just pics i want to hear facts from the small area inner city guys .

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I just made wooden sides for my 3/4 Chevy. I lay a tarp on the bed liner and fill it up. I can get 2-3 lawns packed in before I have to dump. Then I just tarp over and throw my equipment on top and we're good to go. Yes, it's a pain, but it's the best I can do right now. Maybe next year I'll put sides on my trailer and haul stuff that way.

5. XLS

are these lots like 150' x150 and smaller or larger about how high is the walls when standing in the truck? and i assume you are mulching and then bagging the leaves right

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, the lots are pretty small, 1/4-1/2 acre at most. If there's a lot of leaves, I'll blow them to the curb and tarp load them into the truck. I have wooden ramps I made for getting my 21" in the back of the truck that I walk up so I don't have to keep jumping on the tailgate. If the leaves aren't that bad, I'll bag them with the 21." Here's a pic of the truck.

[​IMG]

7. XLS

thanks man this type info is what i am looking for . do you have a pic of your setup or your ramp?

8. XLS

if you dont mind . when you blow them to the curb how do you get them on the tarp ? just rake them . we have never needed tarps so i have never seen this process.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have a pic of the leaf setup, but here's my lawn setup. Same idea though. You can see the ramps. I put 1 1/2" staples at intervals on the 2x6 so I have traction. I bought a 16' trailer this past summer and next spring I'll have a 48" WB or ZTR. Anyway, For the tarp, I just rake them onto the tarp and carry it up the truck.

[​IMG]

10. XLS

ok ill ask you but i am not bashing on you do you ever have the ramps fall ? they look like a regular 2x6 with i guess a metal end how do you get them to stay on the truck ? do you just lay them up there . do they seem safe to you .

I see your at a storage location ... do you store the equipment there we use them this way is why i ask .
    how many years have you been mowing ? and when did you know you was upgrading to bigger how many of these 1/4-1/2 acres do you cut a week .