Leaf Season

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Centerline Crosscut, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Centerline Crosscut

Centerline Crosscut LawnSite Member

Terry at Exmark,

I was wondering if you can help me out? I have a 2004 Lazer Z Model LZ27KC60. My first question is what is the model number for the best Flanged Baffle Kit for this type of machine, also can it be used all year round? Second, Im debating wether to purchase a QDS collection system or a third party Bluebird (V190Z). It seems that the Bluebird with a 6hp Kohler would have more power than the belt system on the QDS. Is this true? Also, Does this QDS drop the tip speed or engine performance (RPM), when it is attached to the deck?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Van,

The only baffle I would recommend would be the anti-blow out baffle.

The QDS is spindle driven however because of the vac system design it requires less power than you might imagine.

Think of the blower assembly as a high speed fan. Like any fan if you stand in front of it you can feel the air rushing past you. If you stand behind a fan you feel very little air movement. The reason for this is that a fan is very efficient at pushing air but much less efficient at pulling or sucking air. With most of the third party vac systems you'll find that they require a great deal more power because the fan or blower is mounted to the rear of the machine where it must suck the debris up the tube from the deck. These same designs also sent all of the debris through the blower using it as a "grass pump" which again requires a great deal mower power and shortens the life of the fan.

Our design however pushes the air from the deck and very little of the debris passes through the fan. Basically we are using the blower as an air pump instead of a grass pump. This not only requires less power but it also helps reduce plugging.

The QDS also has a mesh back panel that allows air to pass through and exit the hopper so the debris can compact within the hopper. Most of the third party vac system are vented at the top so most of the debris are constantly behing pumped full of air in the hopper which makes the debris more "fluffy" if you will. The results are that in most cases the QDS holds a suprisingly large amount of debris in comparison to other systems.

The QDS can also be "dumped" from the operators seat and then closed without the operator getting off the machine. If you do not wish to dump the debris on the ground you can get the 3-bag UltraVac.

I would not concern myself too mcuh with power issues. The vac requires less power than a mulch kit.

Thanks

Terry

3. Centerline Crosscut

Centerline Crosscut LawnSite Member

Terry,

Thank you for the helpful info. Do you happen to know the part number for the anti-blowout baffle for this machine and do i have to drill holes in the deck to install it?

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor