Leaf setup suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PTP, Jul 6, 2005.

1. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I am thinking about getting into leaf removal this year. I have done a little of that in the past but my current setup is inadequate.

I am looking for recomendations on a setup. I am thinking that I will be pulling a 14' trailer with a cover on it. Is a leaf loader really necessary or are tarps just as good? I have done tarps in the past and it worked okay. I am thinking that a leaf loader will not be able to pack it in as well. Last year, I got over 1000 pounds of leaves in a 5X10 trailer.

Are the leaf loaders used for unloading as well? It will probably take at least an hour to unload a 6X14 by hand and I am not really excited about that.

I know that a dump trailer would be ideal but I am not really excited about spending that kind of money. I want to do more than just break even this year.

2. PTP

from Tulsa

I am thinking about making something where I can drag all of the leaves out. Does anyone else do this? Any pictures or suggestions?

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I use a 16 X 6.5 with 33" removable press board sides. I load using my ultravac bagger unless its unaccessible and then I will tarp. 2 blowers, two trucks (1 for mowers and 1 for leaves) two people and we can do a bunch of leaves in a day.

I am wanting a goose neck dump (16 or 18 X 8) so I can use it as a all purpose trailer. Have receiver mounted on the front for a L Loader and a removable top. I could use a the same trailer to haul equipment or bulk debris. Maybe this year or next on the dump but for now.....I'm manual.

W. Terry Leaves 033.jpg

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put MEG MO blades on your mowers and get one of tho loads in a week. You can get by with a 21" mower with a bagger as you will only have one bagger full per yard.

5. PTP

from Tulsa

So, how do you uload that thing? You and a pitchfork? There has got to be some way to unload quickly and easily. I know that the dump would be ideal but I would rather put the extra money into a bike.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

in the past i have just used a bagger but this year im going to get the vac for my toro. I added removable boards to my trailer to dump it on then drape a tarp over it. Unloading for me is a snap. Pull out in the middle of my farm and just kick and blow the leaves off. When the piles get big enough just strike a match. Has to really bite for some of you city guys.

7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

With the amount/thickness of leaves that fall here i doubt meg mo's would reduce it that much.Im sure they would help.

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2003 Little Wonder blower with a 10 HP Briggs Intek I/C engine and it is awesome! I also have a 1986 Mighty Mac blower with an 8 HP Briggs engine, and I can tell you that it is no match for the Little Wonder. I use my 1999 Stihl BR 320 44cc blower to clean out the schrub beds, then I use the Little Wonder to blow all of the leaves off 1 1/2+ acre properties. If the properties have woods then I blow the leaves directly into the woods. If not, then I blow them into one big pile near my trailer (parked on the street) and start loading by means of rake and green barrells. If there are a lot of leaves on a job (an account that didn't want the leaves done weekly), then I blow them toward the street, then I run my 48" Bob-Cat WB mower carefully through the leaves with an old set if blades on it to grind the leaves up some. Either way, I load all of the leaves into my 5'x10' trailer (in the fall, I put tall mesh fenceing on the inside to keep the leaves in). I then go to a local dump to dispose of the leaves. I can unload the trailer in about 10 minutes. So far my system works quite well! I don't really think you need a leaf loader unless you have a big truck or trailer to load them in and you don't want to take the time to load them by hand.