1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Spot & Dollar Spot KICKING MY A** this year...:(

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Jun 3, 2003.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

This year has been the worse for turf diseases, period. We have had 34+" of rain and many, many overcast days.

I have a stable cool season fert program and the lawsn are not over fertilized, that's not the problem. Most every lawn has some degree of problem but the lawns I did with Lesco Tri-Gold last fall are the worse. I had several plots I tested last fall and to my surprise Leb Turf Winning Colors is looking the best this year.

Here is a sample of the problem. The photo below is a lawn I fertilize and the home owner mows, the lawn to the right is overfertilized and grows much faster. HE was told last year this was heat stress and it was not treated, look at the difference:

leaf spot 2003 2.jpg

from AL

My guess is that your problems are linked to the Primo Max & all the other junk you have put on those lawns over the years.
  3. KirbysLawn

Here is another lawn, again, look at the lawn to the left, looks much better than the lawn I planted. This lawn was awsome a few weeks ago, one the the best around...it's not handling fungus problems very well at all:

leaf spot 2003 1.jpg
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Thats nothing compared to the clover that is taking over my home yard (not a problem on any client's properties). It's aweful... seemed like last year it finally went away, I guess I'm gonna try to let the grass grow and just raise the height a bit see if that chokes it out. Now I don't have a nice lawn, just a big ol' country weed patch so the only thing I can do to control it is cut height and frequency basically.
  5. KirbysLawn

Here is a close up photo of the Tri-Gold and Winning colors side-by-side, both have been uncut and not fertilized at all.

PS, UL this is my first year on these lawns and neither has been treated with anything except winterizor last fall, and split apps of Dimension this spring so Primo would not be a factor. Clover is nothing to treat, these problems are very expensive to treat and hard to sell.

I spoke to another guy here in town said he didn't have these problems, I mow right beside him, his lawn was ate up with leaf spot and brown patch...it's a problem area wide not just my lawns. I'm trying to decide about changing to the Winning Colors this year.

leaf spot 2003 3.jpg
  6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Not only do I have the same problems, but red thread is running rampant. Bring on the sun and some drier weather.
  7. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Amen to the sun! It's raining again today and I'm backed up again. Fungus galore on every lawn in northeast Ohio, pretty much.

We need to tell our customers to start using milk jugs, cans, bottles, buckets, anything they can find, to save some of this water for August!
  8. KirbysLawn

Most of the lawns have been sprayed with Compass and everyone is washing their mowers after mowing, hopefully it will slow down now.
  9. Like you know anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dumped using all lesco products.

Can't answer to your questions, but hopefully the sun will pop out and dry it up some.

That much rain can't help but cause problems.
  10. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

Kirbyslawn ive seem alot of your work on here and i know you know how to install lawns.... its not the fert, its all the rain and we have had very little sunshine....some of my best lawns are starting to turn alittle, from lack of sun, not my fert apts.....Marks Mowing Service