1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Vac as a mulch spreader

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by All American CL, Mar 9, 2009.

1. All American CL

All American CL LawnSite Member

I am wondering if anyone has done this before or have any results from doing this? I am thinking of reversing essentially a leaf vacuum and spreading mulch with it. I understand that some mulch will not work and defeat the purpose since the leaf vac will shred the mulch. :usflag:
  2. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

Ha, I have thought about trying it but during leaf season i end uo sucking up a fair amount of mulch and it doesnt sound good going through the blade.

I am curious to hear if anyone else has done it though.
  3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

as long as the mulch is good an dry it will blow just like a mulch blower, make a tray to fed the intake hose an on the discharge side start off with 6 inch black drain pipe an taper down to a 4 inch, blow away !!
  4. All American CL

All American CL LawnSite Member

So have you actuly done this before? I am considering buying a debris loader from billy goat and using it as a multi purpose debris loading monster. If you have any more info about what was used or some suggestions.
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If anyone has tried to suck up a pile of wet leaves with a leaf loader knows how hard it is on the system.

If the mulch was good and dry, I might try it, but I would be sketchy.

Besides, I think most mulch blowers use a two stage system.
  6. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

It would be nice to be able to reroute the mulch from going through the impeller. Just use the suction/discharge of it.

Im sure it would take alot more than this to work though considering the Finn blowers start somwhere around 20 grand on up to 150 grand.