Leaf Vac Hose Suction Loss Length?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bel Air Bob, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Bel Air Bob

Bel Air Bob LawnSite Member

How long of a hose can I use effectively without losing much suction on an 8 in. diameter hose from a TracVac 11HP hitch mount unit? I have the standard 12 ft. came w it and works fine, but by the time u get turned 90 degrees and to the side of truck, there's not much hose left to suck up leaves. I mean, I have to blow most of my leaves all the way to the curb. I could save some time if I had longer hose, maybe 25-30, even 50 ft, but don't want to spend small fortune on hose only to find I lose too much suction. Any advice? How long has anyone run 8 inch hose from 11HP unit and still had good suction? This hose is too expensive to buy and guess. Why I'm on the topic, anyone know a good source for hose 8 inch diameter? I found sources from $15 to $25 (plus high S&H) per foot. I'd love to pick up a used one.

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

:laugh: DUDE YOUR FUNNY! 50 feet of house. What are you nuts? Be like evryone else and live with blowing them to the curb. Whats next sucking them out of the beds into the truck

3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Any chance of finding cheaper alternatives to try? You might fab in a section of thin wall metal or flexible drain hose which shouldn't be too expensive. May be other alternatives you can think of:)

4. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

http://kuriyama.thomasnet.com/item/...ducting-hose/edb-250?&plpver=10&assetid=a1358

search "air suction hose friction loss" in yahoo.....maybe change up the terms a bit

the link above is for water, but it should give you some help....call the company and ask them the friction of the hoses for air

a lot of companies advertise "low friction loss"....there is a lot of info out there for shop dust handlers, but they are all using much smaller dia. pipe

one thing i did pick up is that you might consider non-flex hose for a really long run.....but connections can give friction loss as well....also it seams there is more friction on the horizontal than the vertical movement if I read correctly....things to consider

I would be interested to see what you come up with :)

5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

the longer you go, the smaller the end will have to be to keep the suction. Add another 12 foot section to it and see what it does. if it doesnt help, you can always keep it as a spare, or sell it on ebay.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The longer the hose the faster it will clog with "fine" particals that settle in the bottom of the hose.

7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

hopefully yes we can suck them out the beds lol put a 50hp engine or whatever needs to be done lol

imagine a lawn vaccum hooked up to a hose not that would be heaven

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

It would be easier to remount your vac so the hose sticks out the side instead of the front. I have no idea why people mount them pointing straight ahead when most of the time they blow to the curb for pickup. I have mine mounted on the right side of my front bumper but pointing ahead because we drive up to the piles or row.

9. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a Little Wonder 11 hp walk behind leaf blower with the vacuum attachment for about7-8 years now. I have it mounted on the front right of my dump bed on my dump truck. I have used up to 25 feet of 6" vinyl externally ribbed suction hose. Works like a charm. Pull up to the curb and dump the leaves next to the truck.

10. Bel Air Bob

Bel Air Bob LawnSite Member

What's the longest hose you've used in 8"? anybody?