leaf vac mounted on dump bed

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Wing 97, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

This may seem like a stupid question but I would like to mount a 16 hp single cylinder leaf vac on my dump body of my truck. The obvious concern is when the body is in the fully raised postion is the oil going to dump into the top end or worse? Any toughts or experiences would be appreciated.

2. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

you can mount it on your swing door for the dump, as you dump goes up and your back door is swing open with the leafs to come out. or you can get a reese hitch thing that you swing out of the way before you dump. you can mount it on your trailer, that is what i do i can unhook my trailer and back up to the trailer when i have to suck up leafs, when its full drive off to my dump with nothing but my truck, i have a insert. how did you get a 16hp single

3. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I bought it used about 5 years ago and was hoping to get a season out of it and still runs excellent. My intent is to mount the vac and box to a fixed skid that can be taken on and off with my bobcat with forks. So essentially the vac needs to be fixed mounted. The box is pretty light wieght so I don't think it could handle the weight of the vac on the door. I am just not sure how this would effect the oil when in the dump position.

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my fellow lco's up here mounted the leaf vac (lesco) to the frame of the truck, a hole was cut in the dump bed floor, and the discharge chute is welded above the hole so leaves/grass discharges into the top of the enclosed bed. Its a great idea for a dedicated mowing truck...

5. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I did think of that but the truck 07 3500 dually and don't think there is enough room to mount the vac between the tires and back of the cab. Besides I think I'd have a hard time cutting a big hole in a brand new platform.(mentally not phyiscally)

6. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i used to use on that was mounted on the cab shield of a one ton never had a problem. what is the angle when it is lifted its not 90 degrees. you would not have any problem from dumping with it there

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I've used 2 trucks with frame mounted vacs. Miztu fuso and a F 350. Both had flat beds with farm gates. Another has a flatbed and vac is mounted on the bed in the front on the passanger side. The box is built around the vac. (top, back, and left side. front and right side are open.) It sounds like you have a regular bed that comes with the trucks from the dealer. To me you only option is trailer mount or tailgate mount.

8. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

I'm a little confused when you say "a regular bed that comes with the trucks from the dealer " do you mean a pick up body? the body that is being mounted on the truck as we speak (I hope) is a 9 foot dumping platform in which I would like to mount the vac behind the head board on the passenger side. In the past I have had the vac mounted on my trailor and on the the mount for the plow head gear (1977 gmc) and found it much easier to use without having to drag the trailor around for just the vac.

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Yea I ment a regular dump bed with the metal sides that come up on the sides ( what about 2 feet or less) I'v done the plow mount too. Looks silly going down the road but it is nice when you can disconnect from a trailer and drive to the piles. ( like the back yards for the one time cleanups). I think we are talking about the same dump body with the small sides