Leaf Vac Tube (Reducing 12" to... 6" or 8")

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Snyderserv5060, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

Simple question, what have you guys found is the best way to attach a smaller leaf vac tube to a larger one. Looking for some sort of reducer or metal insert I can clamp both tubes to.

Now before I get posts about how its not good to do and its going ot reduce suction let me put it this way. I have a longer section of 6-8" wide tubing here. My Lesco vac I believe has a 12" tube on it... If I attach the two I should not lose too much suction being significantly smaller tubing (for the new section). This would allow me to get in the beds easily and all. I have the tube here so its not like its going to cost more to do. I can clean up the large piles and all with the regular 12" tube but it would be nice to have a bit more distance of travel.

Thanks

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Try Lowes, The Home Depot or your local building supply center. This is just hose and you can use adapters from home heating and air conditioning duct work.

3. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

Reducing from 12" to 6 or 8" will put more stress on your motor, but it will also significantly increase the velocity of the air going into the 6" section. You could potentialy pick up much more dense objects than leaves.

4. Snyderserv5060

These were my thoughts exactly... however I went to HD today to get a few things for my leaf clean ups and completely forgot to look... oops.

Yes the suction should be greater as well.

5. homerescue

homerescue LawnSite Member
    from wv

Don't think it will work. I believe if it would work the engineers would have made an adapter/ reducer, anyway why I say this. Two weeks ago I spent 4 hours in the welding shop having a 10" to 6" reducer t work on my 16 hp truck loader, basically i lost 4 hours work and about 80-90 dollars in fab work, it caused more headache than anything, it constantly was plugging up inside the 10" hose, I think it was clogging because there was not enough airflow coming through the 6' hose to have enough air volume to keep the debris moving, even on dry leaves. Hopefully you could use smaller diameter hose from the vac opening, i myself would like to try it, but when I have more time after leaf season to fab up another adapter.

6. Snyderserv5060

Hmm... interesting point. So your saying make it go 6 or 8 inch from the vac inlet with an adapter there. I see exactly what you mean by the loss becuase the reduction in air flow. Im sure I can weld something up once the season is over and I have some time. I just need to find some time. Thanks for your input and your personal experience im sure it will help me and others out so we don't make what you did and have it not work out.

Thanks

7. homerescue

homerescue LawnSite Member
    from wv

Yes, thats what I think, from the inlet same diameter hose no reducing. I have all sorts of great ideas I would like to put to the test, just hard to find time to fabricate them and try the them. Trial and error is very expensive if you know what I mean. I just received a model 470 trac-vac today for my small bunton wb for small lawns, next step is to fab a mount for the big toro z and blow into the dfs bagger with the trac-vac, hope it works because toros vac doesn't't draw enough vacuum. Anyway I bought an 8" x 6" reducer for the trac-vac so I can use 6" hose off its inlet since I have about 50 ft of 6" hose. If I can keep track of this thread I'll try to keep you posted on my R&D, good luck with yours.

8. Snyderserv5060

Okay, sounds good! I will update you if I get some free time to weld up an adapter and it works out well. I did a job today that would have been really nice to have a 50 or so ft line...their back yard was all fenced and the gate was small so we had to really force the tarp out it =-/ oh well.

9. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

I have done this (I wrapped the smaller tube with card board and duct tape), it is TERRIBLE! It will suck up nails, mulch, small rocks, and all sorts of stuff to get jammed in the fan. Oh, and did I mention that in addition to sucking up the wet leaves, it would suck up the occasional pile oh SOGGY DOG SH1+!!! The fan getting clogged was bad enough, but the soggy dog crap was the deal breaker. *trucewhiteflag* My advice, don't do it.