leaf vac vs bagging (no dump fee or gas)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by googles, Dec 21, 2005.

1. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

I may be crazy but I have a 16 hp leaf vac and I only used it for like the first few cleanups. I found with 3 guys bagging is faster. With the leaf vac it jams from time to time if you go to fast or if leaves are wet. Plus it sucks down gas compared to bags which uses no gas and I don’t have to pay for a dump fee. I pay $20 for 100 bags that fit in large green landscape pals. Comparing the cost of leaf vac vs bags, bags is the way to go. Plus this year I really got a lot down in short time. Did over a hundred cleanups so I am curious on what others think is better. Does anyone feel the same way?

2. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on the job. If its a big apartment complex, we just toss it evenly throughout their dumpsters. If any thing else we'll either suck it up or if we can dump or blow the stuff into the woods. It always helps having a place to dump for free. I have a spot at the back of my ten acres saved for this, and it helps save alot of dough. Plus one benifit, in a year or so we dig up all the good soil and reuse it for small jobs or I give it to friends or family for their gardens.:cool:

3. googles

The thing is with my 16 hp i dont see that much more speed then bagging.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My personal feelings is that there is not very much time saved using a loader, maybe 10 minutes on the hour...who know's for sure. The biggest thing it saves for me is extra wear and tear on the body.

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

C'mon its New York.

Just take it to the river.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't like either of your options. Leaf vax don't suck worth a darn and bagging whole leaves is time consuming and wasteful. If you insist upon doing one or the other I would get all of the leaves piled up in one place and then take your biggest mower and mulch them into tiny pieces. Then bag up the residue. I am willing to bet it saves you a lot of time.

7. googles

I dont agree, it makes a mess plus you will be killing the machine mulching that amout of leaves. plus gas again on machine.

8. googles

I dont agree, it makes a mess plus you will be killing the machine mulching that amout of leaves. then you still have to bag it and pickup all the little peaces.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You are correct Richard it is definitely faster to mulch leaves in place than trying to push them across a big area. We have a Walker bagger and a Scag bagger but the first order of business is to take the 25hp scag and take the blower belt off and mulch them. Then you can pull in with the baggers and finish....and you have a couple guys keeping the leaves worked toward the machine. It couldn't be easier or faster. Can't image forcing unmulched leaves through a 16HP vac....my Scag is 25HP and it will clog if we don't mulch them first. Alll these big engines have extra filters on them so I don't see what the problem is??

10. googles

I dont know but in Long island there are a lot of leaves so i never seen anyone do that yet!