leaf Vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Dec 6, 2004.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I found a homemade leaf vac today. Its got low hour 23 hp Kohler engine on it. no real rust looks well made for all I know similiar to the billy goats and little wonders. The only thing I dont like about it is that the pipes are made out of standard PVC pipe and drain pipe for the hose to pick up the leaves from a big pile. He wants $800. I was thinking the engine itself was worth $300 or so. This would sure beat draging tarps and seem powerful enough but never experienced what a good leaf vac should feel like. Any insights on this purchase. It would probbly need new tires as well? Anyone know how much to replace the hose that sucks up the bigger piles?[/

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like alot for a homemade job. are you sure it is truly homemade? What size intake does it have? I know for our 16" intakes I can get the hose for $25 ft. From Giantvac they want about $600.00 for the hose itself. :)

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Go to a local industrial hose supply store and price them. I think Landscaper Supply or Northern Tools have them also. Both of those places have a website, do you can start searching now. They are not cheap, so I would look around for a good deal. You would be doing great going with a 23hp engine. I have 16hp and my next one will be at least 30hp....I think that would pretty much ideal to handle most of the toughest situations.

Do you have any pics....I would be interested is seeing what this unit looks like.

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I can get pics and will post next time I go by their. These hoses seem like the hang up. Also Since its homemade Im wonering if it wont have as much sucking power on it.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I would like to see some pictures of this thing. It would take alot of skill and fabrication to make a towbehind leaf vac from scratch. The impeller has to be perfectly balanced, and the houseing can be run to roll out.