1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

leaf vac's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by duke99, Nov 19, 2007.

1. duke99

duke99 LawnSite Member

i know the best way of removing leaves is by sucking them all up .. but what happens if you have a house that has a huge back yard and small front yard .. and 1 36 inch gate .. and its about 30 feet to the street where your vac is ??????
  2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

u blow the leaves on to tarp drag out front and dump suck and go
  3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

tarp and drag, leaf plow, remove one section of fence, regardless, you charge alot more for the agervation
  4. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

mulch 'em all, I have a leaf vac and still mulch most of our leaves.

I thought about buying a long 6" hose so I could put the vac in the back yard and blow them to the trailer in the front, but then I saw the prices of those hoses.
  5. duke99

duke99 LawnSite Member

yah .. most of my properties are small but one .. and the guys back yard is about 40 ft depth by about 35 ft width ... every square inch of the yard was covered .... needless to say was about 4 hrs to do by myself .... seriously considering a leaf loader .. or sumtin
  6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

What we've been doing is setting up our push blower (I've got an ancient Fradan), at the gate, blowing out toward the street, then moving the leaves to it with the PB600's, just get the leaves in front of it and Whoosh, out the gate they go. We've done the tarp and drag but the tarp always gets caught on the way through, we've tried raking them out the gate or blowing them out after we've piled them near the gate, we've enen removed a fence panel or two to make for better access, but found the blower setting just inside the gate blowing out to be the most efficient method so far. Hope it helps,
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

And charge per hour!
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've done that before, it works very well.
  9. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

In less than 15 minutes, a 10 hp or greater wheel blower will bring all those leaves to the side of fence that has your 36 inch gate . Then like Matt said, we set the blower up at the gate entrance, we then use a leaf plow or hand rake to push in front of said blower and woooooosh. Now with all the leaves on the outside of fence, we start wheel blowing again to the street. Job done. Less than 45 minutes for one guy. Now imagine if you had two guys on that job. Good Luck
  10. duke99

duke99 LawnSite Member

all i know is that i hate leaf season .. lawn and snow season .... GREAT ... but its like you just clean up the yard the first time ... 2 days later .. and there all back again ... ARGGGG !! LOL