leaf vacum question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Nov 11, 2000.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i no that craftsman is concidered crapsman but does any1 no how that leafvac mower is i dont have the money for a boilly goat i have to put all my money for all new machines for the spring.alls i do now is blow them all onto the concrete and driveways and bag them it really sucks bad ...but i rather vac them up any info helps

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

look for a used billy goat or commercial mower with good bagging capabilties. We look in http://www.unclehenrys.com see if you have a shopper like this in your location this might be your best bet(look in farm and garden section and farm and home section)

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It does exactly what it is intended to do. Vacuum stuff up. It is not the most powerfull vac in the world but it does work. I have one here with about 50 hours on it that I will let you have for $200.00. It has the 9hp Tecemseh engine, cost $900.00 and includes the hose kit (another $125.00). It needs a drive drum (it's self propelled).

4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

First off, I do not think Craftsman products are crapsman. They have products that do what they are intened to do. Alot of todays pros started using craftsman products and alot still do use them. If you use Craftsman and do not use Kobalt or Snap-on wrenches to work on your Toro, Exmark, Scag, etc... does this mean you are substandard in some way. I do not think so.

Anyway, are you talking about the little deal that looks just like a mower but it has vac nozzle across the front and a small 1 1/2 inch chipper on the side, all for about $399? It is made by MTD/Yardman. If so, I had one for two years until last week. I sold it for $250 to a neighbor. It was taking up room around here and I did not use it anymore. My neighbor loves it. I did not.

It just fills just too fast for me, not as fast as a actual mower maybe with a 2.5 bag, but it just fills too fast. It seems that it does not mulch the leaves as good as a bigger chipper shredder, I think it has to do with the shredder wheel being horizontal. It chips up small limbs, that you feed into the chute, like a real champ. But for leaves it was not that great. It did have a nice way to empty the bag. The entire back opens and nothing hangs up inside when dumping. Really small apartment type yards like 200 sq ft, etc... it worked well on them, anything bigger was easier to use something else.

I still use a Craftsman chipper/blower/vac with a 10 foot hose pickup attachment that worked much better. If you have not seen one, it looks just like a push type blower with three wheels. You would get more use out of something like it then the other one. You just mow or blow leaves into a pile then suck them up. It has a long collection bag that once filled, empties very easily into a 33 gallon trash can. About 3-4 collection bags will fill a can with some of the best mulched stuff you have ever seen. Cuts stuff down to dime size particles at the biggest.

With a big billy goat type vac, I found them too hard to empty that big bag. You cannot do it into a trash can very easily. I found trash cans very easy to use on my trailer. I do not think alot of guys think about that dumping part. I had that problem with the little mower vac here in question. The bag emptied to easily and the bag was too big to keep it contained into a trash can while dumping. Straight dumping to the curb or back of a pickup, trailer, etc... would be ok I guess.

Hope this helps!

5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

yea thats the one.the mower with the nozzle.thanxs i use a craftsman 22inch self propelled a craftsman commercial trimmer i think there good products that helped me out.alls I can say is that i started with a SNAPER 3.5HP push piece of crap mower bought in the second week a craftsman 22inch mulcher.craftsman TRIMMER and craftsmAN BLOWER. AND HAD TO FIT ALL THAT CRAP IN A BACK OF A PATH FINDER ITS HARD STARTING OUT.ALL CRAFTSMAN BECAUSE I SAVED ALL MY MONEY THIS SUMMER .AND NOW ME AND MY FATHER GOIN INTO BUSINESS .I HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR A NEW TRUCK,TRAILER NOT BRAND NEW BUT NEWER TRUCK
    TWO SCAGS 32 ,36
    TWO BACK PACKS BLOWERS REDMAX
    EDGER IM NOT SURE WITCH ONE IS THE BEST YET
    TWO TRIMERS SHINDAIWA AND MAYBE A KAWASAKI
    ROTTOTILLER
    AERATOR
    POWERAKE
    AND IF I HAVE MONEY LEFT OVER THEN IM GONNA GET A WEBSITE MADE.I MADE A LITTLE UNDER 3OK WITCH I NO IS NOT GOOD BUT ITS NOT BAD FOR A PATHFINDER,CRAFTSMAN MOWER,TRIMMER,BLOWER,
    NEXT SEASON ILL HAVE THE BETTER EQUIPTMENT THANX TO CRAFTSMAN LOL..