1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf vacums

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by double e, Feb 18, 2001.

1. double e

double e LawnSite Member

A friend of mine is getting out of the bus.- He had a White walk behind leaf vacum- I think 8hp. (it looks just like a push mower with a vacum on front and a place to chip limbs) He used it twice and paid $459 for it and just sold it to me for $200. I looked at one before and don't know how good they are. I couldn't pass it up, so brought it from him.

Does anyone have one? How good do they work- what kind of leaf jobs do you use it on Should I stick with my backpack blowers and tarp?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

we had a leaf vacuum and traded it for a snowblower. although ours was a simplicity i dont see too many landscapers using them. i think youd be better off buying a nice walk behind blower and just tuck them into the woods or have the leaves sucked up. just a thought. if its a good deal and you can find a way to use it, buy it
  3. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 5hp toro late last year. The dealer had it on his floor for a long time and I snagged it for just about cost. I bought it mainly to vac my large diveway that is always under attack from my neighbors birch tree. Works great on that and havn't had it on a lawn yet but I think it will do fine. It has a 6 bushel bag.
  4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Billygoat chip/vac and the only thing i use it for is pavement,some jobs ill blow the leafs away form the curbs and pick them up on the road. Also great for limbs makes a fine mulch. Don't use it alot but when i do it really comes in handy. Marks Mowing Service
  5. I had a 8 hp CubCadet leaf vaccuum. work great on dry leaf, but now i prefer use a back blower and a tarp until I buy a real vacuum unit. BTW if you connect a hose on it, this is very helpful to clean flowers beds or restrain area.

great too to clean debris around walk (cigarette, paper,etc)
  6. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

Last year I came across a good deal on a 5.5 HP Patriot walk-behind leaf vac/shredder, which I bought. Thought it would be handy for real compact properties where the leaves have to be taken away. Has a 6 bushel zipper bag under the elongated handle, which when full tilts the machine over backwards. Did work well, but,of course, 6 bushels is nothng, filled up in no time. Went back to my trusty old Kees 48 WB, with super large (8 cu ft) extended bag, using double blades, Gator Magnums on the top. Does twice the width of the Patriot vac, and cuts the grass at the same time. (I charged extra for a "final cutting".) Found no niche for the Patriot, it's for sale, cheap.