Leaf vacuum

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dbuck, Apr 11, 2006.

1. dbuck

dbuck LawnSite Member

I live on 2.5 acres with lots of deciduous trees. In the fall, I am overwhelmed by leaves (up to 6" thick in some places). Since I'm in the northwest, it rains, and once it starts raining the leaves obviously become wet and heavy. I previously tried to use my JD 185 lawn tractor rear bagger, but the leaves either clog the chute or it fills up so fast that it is inefficient. I'm now buying a JD X320 lawn tractor and I want a leaf system to go with it.

Any recommendations? I have been considering the DR Leaf and Lawn Vacuum (www.DRPower.com/leafvac) for some time, but I don't know anyone around here who has one. Anyone have experience with it? Would it pick-up wet leaves? I could get a power-flow bagger for my John Deere lawn tractor but I think it will fill-up too fast.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner as well - almost 2 acres and >100 deciduous trees in south central Michigan. I use the Agri-Fab Mow-N-Vac from Tractor Supply. Best $1000 I ever spent on lawn care equipment. Best to get the leaves when dry, but it will collect the wet ones. Only real hassle was fitting the hose attachment to the discharge of the mower - you have to cut some plastic, and you get just one shot at it.

tip184

3. Summett

Summett LawnSite Member

I have used a Trac-Vac for the past 4 years and it works fantastic. If you look online you can find different sizes and models, but i agree that it was the best $800 that i have spent.

4. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.cyclonerake.com/

This is another way to suck up leaves, and there are a lot of posts here on LawnSite if you care to do a search on that name. I have one of the small ones, and I'm impressed with the job it it has been doing. I presume the commercial version is even bigger and better. What attracted me to it rather than the other machines that have been mentioned is the fact that it folds up and can be hung on a wall when not in use, which means it doesn't take up a lot of shed or garage space.

5. jeffv

jeffv LawnSite Member

I had the DR Leaf and Lawn Vac from country home products, 7 hp commercial model. I sent the thing back after only 3 uses, that thing was JUNK. The whole unit is huge and gets very heavy and a pain to dump. The bagging system is also junk, they never hold there shape, I tried everything even huge binder clips. The extension hose is junk, the nozzle is not wide open and every little stick gets stuck at the tip. I now own the Cyclone Rake Pro and love this machine. It takes alittle getting used too, but once you get it its awesome. If you have any questions just ask or do a search there is plenty of info on the boards.