Leaf vacuum?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bluetick, Dec 5, 2007.

1. bluetick

bluetick LawnSite Member

Gentlemen

Do any of ya'll use one of the leaf and debris vacuums made by billy goat,bear-cat etc? How do they do on wet leafs small twigs.? Any brand heads above the others?

I have found a bear-cat locally that was returned after very minimal use for $800 w/the hose attachment. It looks brand new, would this be a fair price?

I tried to rent one the other day but the rental store could not get it to run. It was a billy goat. I would really like to try one before I spend the cash but there aren't any others locally to rent. Kinda makes me wonder if they are worth it or not.

I will be using it on some of my smaller residential stuff and to do a couple of parking lots. I know it will work good on the hard surfaces I'm really just wondering if they are as good as they show on the billy goat web site in the grass. Or is it a little hyped?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless
    Shawn

2. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

they are a life saver, however, you must make sure you make the enclosure "breath" well or the machine will bog down. the machine will rarely clog with some heavy wet material being sucked up, but if you go easy. it is not soo bad. sticks suck, they tend to get stuck sometimes. GOod luck, good buy for 8 bucks tho, they are like 3K new.

3. greeneyes

greeneyes LawnSite Member

I'm not a gentleman but, I bought a self propelled KD512SP las Nov 06. Pd $1050 new, spare bag $95, $128 hose extension $ 32 for connector ($$$??). includes PA 6% tax. Great for cleaning beds!! Especially in spring. But it does a great job finishing off a lawn if you've got a small area.

I've never used any other mfg. Clogs if debris is larger than diam obviously, but picks up wet leaves/acorns, etc. Bag gets heavy. I have to use big w/b blowers, etc at this time of year outside of Philly Pa, but I love my Billy Goat.

4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the KD model, works awesome, paid 800 brand new about 5 seasons ago. Just slapped a new engine on it 6.5 hp, cost was 189.00 runs better than when it was new. Once you have it u will always use it. U might look at buying a new one i dont think 200 more is that big of a deal seeing how it comes with a warranty. Dont get the self propelled one there is really no need for it, its very easy to push with those big wheels.

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like Billy Goat vacuums have a good client base ... I have a Billy Goat mower and it is a well made machine !!

6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I have been looking to purchase on of these machines, I looked at craftsman and they are built cheaply, Billy goat seems nice, and the bear cats don't seem to bad.

7. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

Hi Blue Tick, I have a Little Wonder Vacuum that I purchased this year. It does an excellent job on leaves. I can walk at a mowing pace and not leave a leaf on the lawn. The unit cost me 1300 with the hose attatchment (I would highly recommend it). It has been a life saver this year for leaves. I have also used it on sidewalks and driveways cleaning up grass,acorns, and walnuts and it sucks them all up. Great Machine!!