Leak at Skimmer

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Ohmylord, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Ohmylord

Ohmylord LawnSite Member

This is the 2nd year in a row I've had a Spring leak in the pond. I've let the water level go down and it appears to point to the skimmer again. Last year I just tightened all the screws at the face plate (it's a Savio skimmer). I tried that this year but it still leaks. If I take the face off is there any kind of sealer I can use?

Also, is the best, easiest way to clean out the winter leaves & muck just to drain it and hose it out?

Thanks!

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Did your skimmer plate come with a gasket? If you could tell me what your liner is made of, that would also help me to help you. For sealing skimmer face-plates, I like using aquarium sealant. Aquarium sealant works really well in this application, because it helps to fill any irregularities that might exist between the skimmer face-plate and your liner. Aquarium sealant also won't be as hard to remove from the mating surfaces as epoxy would be (epoxy forms a really strong bond).

As far as the best way to give your pond a Spring cleaning goes, it would depend on the type of bottom you have in your pond. Do you have rocks on the bottom, or just a bare liner? Is the pond heavily stocked? What type of fish?

If you have a bare-liner bottom, I'd recommend getting a 'Muck Mop.' Its a vacuum that's designed to be used on the bottom of your pond.

3. Ohmylord

Ohmylord LawnSite Member

I don't remember a gasket, but I'll check with Savio and make sure there isn't supposed to be one. Thanks for the tip on Aquarium sealant - I'll try that.

I have rocks on the bottom, 10 shubunkins and one fake blue heron (8 of the 10 fish were new last year after big bird visited the pond). I'll look into a muck mop but will probably end up taking out the fish and draining it.

4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of liner do you have?